New "Mind Over magic" series by Trishbot!

Discuss "Metrobay Comix" and other stories with Trishbot!

Re: New "Mind Over magic" series by Trishbot!

Postby Tecknophyle » April 4th, 2010, 8:04 pm

One of the things that I'm liking about these stories is that you're finally seeing a distinction between the personalities of the characters. Not to be overly critical, but aside from the costumes a lot of the superheroines in Metrobay are pretty much identical personality wise. You could render a lot of scenes with different characters, not changing the dialogue, and there'd be no significant difference. Oh, sometimes there's the odd one one (Omega Woman is supposed to have a temper, for instance), but that's often told and not actually seen.

Here there are some flashes of actual characterization. Alpha Woman acts like a leader with the comment about not undermining authority and apparently looking at a larger picture. Goldwing is genuinally pissed off at the attitude the others have. Marcie acts a bit colder and less humane (fitting for someone who is part machine).

Now, realistically given what happens to them (a lot) personality gets placed second to bits about them wandering around under someone's mind control, but it is nice to see the characters as characters instead of blank slates in costumes wandering from one mind-control emergency to another.
Tecknophyle

Postby begbie_rentonspud » April 5th, 2010, 9:32 pm

Another spectacular chapter, you two. I really do love that even though Tabitha & Pristina are not in control, there inner personalities truly come out... Only to be dashed because the real reason why they're muff diving is not because they're madly in love with each other, but because they must obey. Can't wait for the next issue.

Begs
begbie_rentonspud

Postby Akonkid » April 6th, 2010, 12:41 am

Dragons! It has dragons! How could this story ever go wrong?
If she would just do what I asked, I wouldn't need to use mind control!
Akonkid

Postby Trishbot » April 6th, 2010, 12:43 am

Tecknophyle wrote:One of the things that I'm liking about these stories is that you're finally seeing a distinction between the personalities of the characters. Not to be overly critical, but aside from the costumes a lot of the superheroines in Metrobay are pretty much identical personality wise. You could render a lot of scenes with different characters, not changing the dialogue, and there'd be no significant difference. Oh, sometimes there's the odd one one (Omega Woman is supposed to have a temper, for instance), but that's often told and not actually seen.

I'm extremely happy someone has noticed this. I've made a very conscious effort to tell stories that simply could not be told with any other characters. For me, the story and characters HAVE to come first and every character has to have an important and critical role to play. They can't just be "there". This is a story that has to be Enchantress's journey, Spellweaver's ordeal, and the others' reactions to it. Like with my other stories, the characters do not "change" abruptly, but evolve and grow. While some might still argue that they're body counts first and foremost, I'd politely disagree. Every story I do, including this one, "Hypnotica", and others that are in-the-works, start with a story and character arc and THEN the mind control, action, and bondage are added in. That way, the mind control is tied to that character, such as Enchantress coping with the memories of her own enslavement.

I don't ever want any character to appear in my story and feel like wasted space. Everyone has to show something new and interesting, but only as an evolution of their established personalities, not a shift. Babydoll is still an evil girl, but there's a reason for it. Alpha Woman can be cold and strict, but at times she needs to be. Silver Satin had to make a judgment call, and she went with what the numbers in her head told her to do. And Enchantress has earned plenty of the hate cast her way... and yet Goldwing and Valient Grrl still want her with them.

Sure, there's hot mind control, and there's definitely going to be more to come, but even that has to have a purpose or reason. It shouldn't exist for the sake of it, at least not for me. This entire story, along with my other ones, are tailored specifically to the characters within it, and that's what I hope makes them seem special. At least they feel special to me.
Trishbot

Postby the_collector » April 6th, 2010, 3:13 am

Excellent work again! I am absolutely loving the escalating obnoxiousness and increasingly kinky antics of Lorenzo Trance, and loved the fact that Kitten and Pristina have been added to his personal harem! I particularly enjoyed the part where he orders his slaves to can the mushy stuff! Where can things go from here? Hopefully more magnificent bastardry from Lorenzo before his eventual comeuppance!

The Collector
the_collector

Postby Tecknophyle » April 6th, 2010, 1:37 pm

Trishbot wrote:
I'm extremely happy someone has noticed this. I've made a very conscious effort to tell stories that simply could not be told with any other characters. For me, the story and characters HAVE to come first and every character has to have an important and critical role to play. They can't just be "there".

Sure, there's hot mind control, and there's definitely going to be more to come, but even that has to have a purpose or reason. It shouldn't exist for the sake of it, at least not for me. This entire story, along with my other ones, are tailored specifically to the characters within it, and that's what I hope makes them seem special. At least they feel special to me.

Trust me, I notice characterization and actual plot (I do a column on writing where I bitch about that constantly on another site under another name).

One of the problems in doing that is the medium of many of these stories. At one panel per page, there's only so much you can do, whereas something like Platinum Earth gives more freedom because more can go on per page. So I do bear that limitation in mind. On the other hand, as demonstrated here, it still can be done.
Tecknophyle

Postby Trishbot » April 6th, 2010, 2:17 pm

Tecknophyle wrote:
Trust me, I notice characterization and actual plot (I do a column on writing where I bitch about that constantly on another site under another name).

One of the problems in doing that is the medium of many of these stories. At one panel per page, there's only so much you can do, whereas something like Platinum Earth gives more freedom because more can go on per page. So I do bear that limitation in mind. On the other hand, as demonstrated here, it still can be done.

I've extremely open to the possibility of multiple panels per page. The sole reason I do single panels is to lighten the load that Finister has to do, so he doesn't have to render three times as much as he does for my stories in addition to the work he does for Doc and his own comics. This has led to a deliberately slower pace than something like Platinum Earth, which is fast and frenetic.
Trishbot

Postby thetitan » April 20th, 2010, 7:57 am

I have to say, this is one of the best stories on this site. No offence to any of the other writers, you are very good, but someone had to be best for now.

This, coupled with the incredibly beautiful pictures by finister, is more than enough to make me pay every month to get more out of this story.

Keep up the good work, and please do plan something more with the magic users after this series. Magical MC is just so very hot :D
thetitan

Postby finister » April 20th, 2010, 11:41 pm

very kind words, thetitan
finister

Postby finister » April 22nd, 2010, 10:53 am

Greetings controllers and beauties controlled!

Today we bring you Chapter Six of Trishbot's "Mind Over magic" !

Trishbot says:

"With their friends in immediate danger, Goldwing and Enchantress rush off to confront Professor Trance about his fiendish crimes. But there's more going on than meets the eye, and the good professor is far more than he seems! But how does Goldwing know of his true, sinister nature and what does that mean for their desperate rescue attempt? Find out in the pages of "Mind Over Magic", exclusively at MCComix!"

Check it out here:

http://www.mccomix.com/members/gallery2 ... itemId=953

As a bonus we have added the 3 classic request comix that go along with this storyline! These are member Requests from around 2006, so some readers may not have seen them before.

They have been added here:

http://www.mccomix.com/members/gallery2 ... temId=9285

Thanks for supporting MCcomix.com !!!
finister

Postby Tecknophyle » April 22nd, 2010, 11:48 am

And that is the proper way of retconning things. Well done.
Tecknophyle

Postby lordsomno » April 22nd, 2010, 1:13 pm

Hooray! Spellbinder is back! With lovely slaves and more trouble to cause! Thanks also for adding my member's request (from way back) to the site. Brings back a lot of great memories. Hoping to see more mind controlled and thieving lovelies in the next few comics!
lordsomno

Postby ach202577 » April 23rd, 2010, 9:45 pm

well, you saved me from having to look somewhere else for a story worth reading, if you have seen some of my posts on this and your other sight you''ll see that I have an strong opinion on what I think is good storytelling and with the lose of midnite I really didn't see the point of continuing subscribing, but you came through with a worthwhile story that I look forward to reading.
Now for a few questions.
1) you found a way to explain how knightfighter and her sidekick are now free from the mind control they were under what other heroines are now no longer on the stripper circuit? ( trying to remember the mother/sister team that was in recycler )
2) this isn't your series but will what's happening at the funhouse ever be found out and will erica be free once more?
3) what is shadow rider's power?
4) Does the events in requested ( where enchantress and sorceress become sex slaves to the professor) become before or after this story arc?
And finally now that daredoll is working for Lance harwood ( boo hiss) will the rest of the team (speed demons) ever find out what is going, oh wait roller girl is working for Max while she's at the office and who is kimberly? boy some many characters how do you keep them straight overload overload.....................
ach202577

Postby Trishbot » April 23rd, 2010, 10:29 pm

ach202577 wrote:well, you saved me from having to look somewhere else for a story worth reading, if you have seen some of my posts on this and your other sight you''ll see that I have an strong opinion on what I think is good storytelling and with the lose of midnite I really didn't see the point of continuing subscribing, but you came through with a worthwhile story that I look forward to reading.
Now for a few questions.
1) you found a way to explain how knightfighter and her sidekick are now free from the mind control they were under what other heroines are now no longer on the stripper circuit? ( trying to remember the mother/sister team that was in recycler )
2) this isn't your series but will what's happening at the funhouse ever be found out and will erica be free once more?
4) Does the events in requested ( where enchantress and sorceress become sex slaves to the professor) become before or after this story arc?
And finally now that daredoll is working for Lance harwood ( boo hiss) will the rest of the team (speed demons) ever find out what is going, oh wait roller girl is working for Max while she's at the office and who is kimberly? boy some many characters how do you keep them straight overload overload.....................

Thanks for the compliments! I'll answer your questions to the best of my ability.

1) Knyght Fighter and Goldwing were returned to normal due to a defect in the original Modification Machine. A new an improved one was then created, which created Ginger Monroe. Heroines Freedom Girl and Juris Prudence were enslaved with the new machine and remain enslaved for now. The Recycler story was Jpeger's creation and not affiliated with Metrobay... but I wouldn't mind seeing more of it.

2) I imagine the Funhouse thing will be explored later along with Erica's role, but Doc Robo is the only one that knows for sure... and he ain't talking. ;)

3) Shadow Rider has supernaturally enhanced reflexes, speed, and stamina, and has an enchanted motorcycle that can travel at nearly the speed of sound. She shares similar abilities with her fellow Speed Demons Roller Grrl and DareDoll, all three of whom received their powers at the same time.

4) The story where Spellweaver and Enchantress are made slaves by the Professor takes place some time before this story. Enchantress had just joined the Squad at that point and that was literally her first mission as a "heroine". Mind Over Magic takes place some time after that.

5) I don't know what the plans are for DareDoll or Roller Grrl, but the latter appears to be free from the greentooth earpiece control... at least for the time being. Ultimately, Doc Robo and a few others are privy to that info.

I appreciate the invested interest. There ARE a lot of stories and characters to keep track of and manage. If you're having some trouble, there is a very thorough information database located here: http://metrobay.wetpaint.com. It includes dossiers on practically every character in Metrobay, synopses over every major storyline, breakdowns of every gadget and gizmo, and background history over organizations, locations, and even crossovers. It might come in handy.
Trishbot

Postby Doctor Robo » April 23rd, 2010, 10:38 pm

ach202577 wrote:well, you saved me from having to look somewhere else for a story worth reading, if you have seen some of my posts on this and your other sight you''ll see that I have an strong opinion on what I think is good storytelling and with the lose of midnite I really didn't see the point of continuing subscribing, but you came through with a worthwhile story that I look forward to reading.
Now for a few questions.

I can answer a few of these. Someone else will have to handle the rest.

2) We will be continuing the Funhouse series starting late next month, as part of a larger Metrobay-wide story arc. Look for some preview material in the next few weeks.

3) Magical super speed, reflexes, and limited invulnerability.

4) Before... I think. :P

5a) I have a feeling that Shadow Rider and RollerGrrl will have to confront their still-enslaved teammate someday, once they discover that she is still enslaved. I wouldn't expect that to happen for a while, though.

5b) I don't know who Kimberly is. Are you referring to Violisha? I think her 'real' name is Kimberly...

- Doc
Doctor Robo

PreviousNext

Return to Trishbot