Trishbot's "Hypnotica" series

Discuss "Metrobay Comix" and other stories with Trishbot!

Re: Trishbot's "Hypnotica" series

Postby Akonkid » January 9th, 2010, 12:49 am

I wanted to respond immediately after reading this... but I had so much strong, happy emotions that I wanted to give myself time to put them into words.

Hours later, and all I can muster is "Holy SH*T!"

Those that know me know my favorite heroine has always been Valient Grrl, but this issue dramatically shakes things up, in a good way. Things I thought I knew about her went right out the window. Same goes for Hypnotica. Heck, even Solaria.

I've seen a few fans complain that these stories don't have any big changes or lasting consequences. Thankfully, this series has become my favorite exactly because it dares to take big risks, shake up the status quo, and seems extremely confident in the direction it's heading, building and building towards a climax and a conclusion rather than aimlessly tying together mind control set pieces. Nobody seems here at random and everyone's here to serve a particular role and purpose.

Even without the major plot twists in this issue, the dialogue is razor sharp. Troublina in particular is just so incredibly sassy that she's become a favorite of mine. Her banter with Snowflake warrants a comic of the two in and of itself.

I also extremely enjoyed how this series is moving so strongly ahead, yet it's so very aware of everyone's pasts. Characters I haven't thought about in ages (like Juris Prudence and Maven O'Riley) get referenced and it fits perfectly in this story.

Well done. Well freakin' done. Bring on more, and do it quickly.
If she would just do what I asked, I wouldn't need to use mind control!
Akonkid

Postby leto17 » January 9th, 2010, 10:29 am

Akonkid pretty much said it all. This was simply great! Thanks! All those lovely short-haired cuties in tubes. Reminds me of the old Changling story!
leto17

Postby ashleychloroformed » January 9th, 2010, 12:17 pm

This update is the best so far in my opinions next to the issue where she had her way with the heroines :mrgreen:
ashleychloroformed

Postby Trishbot » January 9th, 2010, 12:57 pm

Thank you all for the kind words! I'm very proud of this issue and Finister worked extra hard on it.

That being said, I also want to make sure the artist of this issue's cover gets proper recognition. Begbie_Rentonspud provide the art for this issue's cover. You can find more of his hypno art here: http://begbierentonspud.deviantart.com/. I think he did an excellent job and I think we can look forward to more from him soon. ;)
Trishbot

Postby Northern Chill » January 9th, 2010, 1:29 pm

A phenomenal story to date, both in art and writing. Keep up the fine work!
Check out past covers from stories found here as well as text stories I've written at http://nchill.deviantart.com

"What does this story need?...more Franbot!!!"
Northern Chill

Postby the_collector » January 9th, 2010, 2:47 pm

I am loving this series. Great story coupled together with great artwork! Thanks for sharing!
the_collector

Postby Doctor Robo » January 10th, 2010, 12:16 pm

I am impressed at how well this story has developed. I find it very interesting to see another person's take on characters that I helped to create, and I think Trishbot is doing a great job of staying true to their origins while helping them develop their own 'personalities'. The plot twists have been very creative, and I'll admit that while I don't love everything about this series that hasn't stopped me from enjoying the hell out of it!

- Doc
Doctor Robo

Postby finister » March 8th, 2010, 11:33 am

Greetings controllers and beauties controlled,

We offer you up a free appreciation bonus: Trishbot's Hypnotica part 8.

Trishbot explains it this way:

"Nobody could have predicted the shocking truth behind Hypnotica's origin, let alone the cascade of events throughout Metrobay's history that have built to this earth-shattering reveal. But swept along for the ride is none other than the revered and iconic Valient Grrl, who is confronted by the chain of events that resulted in her very creation, as well as Hypnotica's! But this truth may just sign their death warrant, and the only man who might protect them is Max Indeks, their worst enemy! What's all the shock and drama about? Find out in Hypnotica issue #8!"

You can check it out here:

http://www.mccomix.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=69

Thanks for supporting MCcomix.com !!!
finister

Postby dumbtime » March 8th, 2010, 8:20 pm

Wowiw, wow, wow, wow.

I'm really digging this series. I love how it made the connections it did and filled in a few gaps in the back story of a current member of the Superherione Squad and Metrobay Icon. The Valiant Grrl origin is just mind-blowing. As extreme as it seems, it does a good job of keeping a logical flow that I can follow. The tragic heroine is revealed.
The update even makes us revisit everything that makes up the world of Metrobay and the events that have recently happened to the Superherione Squad. It has set, in me, a course of wonderful pondering about what could be the next thing that will be revealed.

Can you dig it , man!!!!

P.S. It even made Snowflaked seem to ponder giving in to the dark side. Kudos!!
dumbtime

Postby Akonkid » March 8th, 2010, 11:11 pm

Holy cow!

This issue was a mega-ton bomb of shocks, twists, and surprises! I never thought I'd see familiar faces like these pop up again, and I'm stunned how neatly all the loose ends of older stories are so cleanly tied together. It's almost creepy how much sense it makes, and it makes me want to re-read those older stories with the knowledge and context we have now!

Valient Grrl's origin was jaw-dropping and beautifully done. She truly comes across as a sympathetic character for the very first time and shows a vulnerable side the strong-armed heroine has never displayed before. And the flashback and events that caused her to meet Alpha Woman for the first time and join the Superheroine Squad gave me genuine shivers.

Sames goes for Hypnotica, who truly develops as a character in this issue. She's been a decidedly mixed bag of good and evil, making her a neutral gray zone, but when forced to make a choice she finally does and seals her fate, for better or worse. That's infinitely compelling and the fallout from her decision looks to have powerful and lasting consequences on everyone involved.

The surprise guest at the end was another pleasant surprise and it has me passionately eager for the next issue to pick up the action. But this issue alone I consider required reading for everyone who's followed Metrobay. It fills in the plot holes, ties up the loose ends, and raises new questions that I'm sure are guaranteed to leave a lasting impact.

Outstanding. That's all there is to it. Simply outstanding.
If she would just do what I asked, I wouldn't need to use mind control!
Akonkid

Postby mctek » March 9th, 2010, 1:35 pm

oops! here is the cover we meant to use, my bad! my fault, kind of got swamp with school work and forgot about asking trishbot about the cover.

MCtek~
Attachments
coveralt.jpg
mctek

Postby Northern Chill » March 10th, 2010, 11:38 am

Great writing in this series and great art. This is one story I look forward to reading every time a new chapter appears.

Keep up the great work!
Check out past covers from stories found here as well as text stories I've written at http://nchill.deviantart.com

"What does this story need?...more Franbot!!!"
Northern Chill

Postby leto17 » March 10th, 2010, 1:09 pm

This is a great story. I know that lately I haven't been very detailed in my responses, but that is largely due to how well other people do in explaining what ids great about the series.

All I will add is that the clones look cute in their tubes :D
leto17

Postby Tecknophyle » March 10th, 2010, 4:25 pm

Nicely done so far.

With all due respect to the various creators and writers, one thing that often get overlooked in the various stories is having the heroes be able to act like heroes. It's not that they act in a bad way, it's just that the usual story plot doesn't involve them being "heroes" per se, merely people with superpowers/abilities dealing with a threat to themselves and/or their immediate friends/family/acquaintances and getting out of it, sometimes by a deus ex machina ending.

This latest episode showed characters demonstrating true heroism, and it didn't require superpowers but moral strength, the willingness to do the right thing even at the potential for enormous personal cost. Many of the characters in these stories get called heroes. Two of them just demonstrated why they deserve the title.
Tecknophyle

Postby begbie_rentonspud » March 10th, 2010, 8:46 pm

I kind of promised Trish that I'd post, but I believe rightfully so. I have been pining for these books with every teaser cover posted, but never really got the chance to give my thoughts on what I really think... Well, at least not in a public forum. I will break this down on it's two basic levels (the writing and the art). I'll start off with the writing because A) I'm a huge fan of writing & storytelling and B) I'm a huge fan of Trishbot. I can't stop my praise for the art of writing by her. She has a total grasp on characters and story like an absolute pro. I have mentioned this before on a review I made for her story with MCTek, but this is where she shines. And with this latest issue, she shines like Solaria on the sun. I'll start off with this. It's hard to write an origin story. Because once it's written, it's hard to take back that history. You could put twist and turns on takes, but one thing's for sure, you can't take away the foundation that's been laid. Trish not only does it with one character, but two. And in the meantime, manages to tie up a few past storylines that may have left some scratching their heads because something may have seemed off. This issue was your (and my) "Oh! I see!" moment. And I whole-heartedly agree with a previous statement that we get treated to what makes a hero a hero. This is one of those things that makes Trish stand out. She brings out a level of personality in the characters that some stories may lack, sometimes. Yes, I love seeing busty superheroines turned into mindless puppets. But, I also do love when these characters are pushed to show off their true colors. Hypnotica's uncertainty and eventual turn to her calling. Valiant Grrl's steadfast courage in the face of uncertainty. Snowflake's... Well... Flakiness. One that seems to Kudos to you, Trish.

As for the art, this may be shorter than my comment on the writing, but for good reason. No words can truly justify Finster Foul's handle on art. I have been a fan since Hip Comix and I'm extremely grateful that he continues to bust his hump on what seems to be one of out of 900 hundred books he works on. A slight over exaggeration, of course. It's really 850. But seriously, the attention to detail and manipulation of the model is second to none. From the shocked look of Valiant Grrl's face to an obedient Solaria overlooking from above, Finster just draws you in into his one page masterpieces. I had to thumb through this issue a few times just to make sure I didn't miss a drop of information out of the great respect to the artist's treatment of his medium.

Well, that's what I got. You blew my mind so hard, it's too hard to describe with words. Thank you both so much and I can't for the next issue.

Begbie_Rentonspud
begbie_rentonspud

PreviousNext

Return to Trishbot