"Maxine Midnight" by Drake

Discuss "Maxine Midnight" and other stories with Drake!

"Maxine Midnight" by Drake

Postby Doctor Robo » September 2nd, 2010, 9:44 pm

Hi folks. Drake is unfortunately out of town on his big day, so he asked me to help him kick off his career at MCcomix.com in style. Here is his synopsis of "Maxine Midnight" #1, his debut comic!

Torn from the pages of the two-fisted pulp tradition comes Maxine Midnight!

http://www.mccomix.com/gallery2/main.ph ... emId=11068

Accompanied by her leather-clad chauffeur/bodyguard Lucinda, this sultry siren stalks sleazy streets, handing out her own brand of hard-hitting vigilante justice. Though skilled in the sweet science of fists and feet, Maxine's greatest strength is her ability to manipulate the minds of her foes, sapping their will, controlling their thoughts and bringing forth their greatest fears and hidden pleasures. But such power always carries a price...

Bikini babes, bank heists, and the machinations of a mad fiend await within the premiere issue of Maxine Midnight!

http://www.mccomix.com/members/gallery2 ... emId=14084
Doctor Robo

Re: "Maxine Midnight" by Drake

Postby Doctor Robo » December 2nd, 2010, 5:19 am

Hey folks! Drake is out of town for a few days, but he asked me to make sure his update was posted on time. Here you go!

Torn from the pages of the two-fisted pulp tradition comes Maxine Midnight; accompanied by her chauffeur/bodyguard the leather-clad Lucinda, this sultry siren stalks sleazy streets, handing out her own brand of hard hitting vigilante justice.

Issue 4:

Serving, protecting and sassing, the city's favourite police twins Annie and Terri Callahan take to the streets to investigate reports of people going missing in the Bowery area. Little do they know that they have a date with the villainous artist, who prowls the dark and dangerous back alleys.

Meanwhile Maxine Midnight drops in on the artist's agent; seeking the location of her lair. The Mistress of the Mind isn't prepared to take no for an answer.

http://www.mccomix.com/members/gallery2 ... emId=14084
Doctor Robo

Postby leto17 » December 5th, 2010, 6:11 pm

I really enjoy Drake's work, especially given how busy I know he must be with all the different great stuff he's doing.
leto17

Postby The_Drake » December 8th, 2010, 5:50 pm

Thanks. There is a lot more to come too. Stay tuned.
The_Drake

Postby Hector2 » January 16th, 2011, 11:41 pm

Hi Drake

I wanted to make a comment about Maxine Midnight # 4 but only now I found the time to post it: I really loved the idea of twins redheads police officers, but then they make a lot of really silly double entendres... well, that's comedy!

But what I loved more was that Midnight didn't fear to take his gloves out to deal with the girl who was setting up all the girls to be "statuized". I find that this attitude fits very well a two fisted tale like this. ;) I mean, would the Shadow given a chance to escape to someone who not only kils, but is not even sure the effects of a human being made a statue? :x No. This is a fantasy tale, but if it were real, those guys will be complete monsters! I only hope Maxine could free those girls in the final, but as a two fisted tale, there is room for a downer ending. :(

I love this work! Thanks!
Hector2

Postby The_Drake » January 17th, 2011, 3:45 pm

Thanks for the kind words on the last issue - and the new one drops tomorrow!

The pulp genre can be a lot of fun to play in; unlike the classic superhero genre you are allowed to have heroes and villains who are far more ruthless. Maxine Midnight as a comic is on the lighter side of the genre; but some of the stories will play a little darker. Glad you liked the twins, I was pleased with the way they have come across so far. Other police officials, hinted at, are so...um... enthusiastically cooperative in support of the local mystery heroine.

I am working on the finale right now; which should close off the first Maxine Midnight story arc, but do not fear, there are other tales of two-fisted action in my script bucket.

Cheers,
Drake
The_Drake

Postby Trishbot » January 20th, 2011, 12:33 pm

I'm loving it immensely. The mix of control and statuephilia is unique, and it's great having the villain collect "trophies" and turning her foes into works of art. They're perfect reminders of her victories, and poor Maxine Midnight is just such a great looking trophy!
Trishbot

Postby leto17 » January 21st, 2011, 2:06 pm

Yes, the work is fantastic!
leto17

Postby The_Drake » January 23rd, 2011, 7:15 pm

Trishbot - Statuefication/dollification/gilding is my primary personal fetish, but I am enjoying Mind Control and warming to it more and more.

I just sent Maxine Midnight off to the proofing dragons - Issue six is a robust 26 pages of two-fisted fetish action. Funny you should mention trophies... Well you will see.

I think the next story arc will be mixing mind control, two-fisted pulp action and the Women in Prison genre as Maxine and Lucinda are drawn into a world where everyone and everything is for sale if the price is high enough. Pay your parking tickets for the devilish Warden Wendy Williams is always looking for new toys to sell to the moneyed elite.

Drake
The_Drake

Postby Hector2 » January 24th, 2011, 1:44 am

I agree with Trishbot and Leto, this issue was great!

My favorite part were the boobytraps! It was logic that the weapons were boobytrapped, and worked without a hitch. The mad sciencist also prepared a mannequin with a boobytrap. In my opinion, Maxine must have to resort to her mystic powers or something, because the villains in the two fisted tales are not buffons blinded by pride as in comic books: they are evil and ruthless!

I loved the villain gloating "Your crusade against crime is useless". If you remember the Shadow's New York, it was a hopeless place, full of crime, homicidal maniacs, mad sciencist, evil secret societies, and terrorist. I think the villains killed a lot of the population of the city every book. Breit Reed and Kato also had to masquerade as criminals even when they were heroes. I wonder just how dark this city really is.

But then, as Trishbot remarked, the fetishes! I like the statuification in stone, but I will love to see crystal and diamond. I also like the victims in ice (but alive, or in suspended animation) or even in flesh, with a device that keep them in suspended animation (like an old wonder woman episode, "fine art of crime").

Also, I loved the villain fetish with trophies. The reason to statuificate some beautiful heroine is to remind her of the victory, and what better reminder that
a beautiful statue?

I am eager to see the last issue

Hector
Hector2

Postby leto17 » February 15th, 2011, 3:54 pm

Great seriews! Fantastic episode. I really, really appreciate how Maxine erotically and orgasitically punishes the baddies!

Looking forward to the sexy maid dolls! Thanks!
leto17

Postby Hector2 » February 20th, 2011, 12:57 am

Hi Drake
I want to thank you for this final issue. It was great. I have read that the adult graphic novels published here are not “true art”, but this is not your case: as a writer, you have successfully blended the horror / two fisted tales.

First of all, the old “our hero has been defeated” cliffhanger. You showed us Maxine being petrified, but the part with the mental link and the Elysium of Thought worked perfectly. The Shadow will be proud, I think. Also the part when the sinister sculptress decides to use a deadly ray from her eyes only to be defeated by the interesting technique Maxine uses.

Then the Evil Agent getting his comeuppance by the hands of Lucinda. I love Lucinda’s concept, the brawn of the team. And that the girls were liberated. But more than any other thing, I loved the end. Appropriate enough for a two fisted tale, the villains get punished not by mere mortal justice, but by their own perverse medium. The thought of a true gallery of rogues was genial. And of course, Maxine has even a private jail. But the classic feel of “This isn’t over” from the sculptress was a great touch.

Now I want to talk about the graphic design: Somehow, Maxine wearing only her mask still manages to get imposing, but her nude with only a fedora, mask and his longcoat was unique. I also loved the detail that the sculptress is perfectly fine going around naked, but the agent is scared enough to try to cover herself at least a little. But what takes the cake is the tag: “The Case of the Sinister Sculptress and the Agent of Evil”. It is a great name.

This work was more than playing with fetishes, it was a love letter to a fantastic genre, and as a fan of two fisted tales, I think that your work was worthy of them.
By the way, the Red Panda is presented by a podcast made by a theatre company?

Thank you, Hector
Hector2

Postby The_Drake » February 24th, 2011, 4:24 am

Thanks for the kind words Hector.

It is often difficult finding a balance in the erotic genres between the writing, plot and copious amounts of sex. This is especially true when you turn the tone slightly darker; as the line between erotic horror and sadistic horror is blurry.

The Green Hornet was an inspiration when I decided to use the Heroine/Chauffeur meme for Maxine Midnight - but rather than have a stronger/weaker relationship, I chose to have each represent a different aspect; the physical and the mental. While Maxine can hold her own in a fight, she is still learning (and she cheats with her powers); whereas Lucinda's physical prowess is every bit as formidable as Maxine's mental skills. Something a trio of Russians will become all too familiar with in the upcoming issue.

Maxine should be a little scary, even in just her mask. It is the blank eyes; they are recognizably human, but just different enough to be alien and disquieting. I'm glad you liked her semi-nude look - I was pleased with it. It was based on Pulp Hero Priorities. Mask. Hat. Coat. In that order.

The Rogues gallery will continue to grow; it is a fetish I enjoy and it fits genre -so it is there to stay... of course, if someone found out and could free the villains within...

The maid story will not be starting next issue - creating all the new models I need for it is taking a lot of time (and I am hugely busy with multiple projects) so the next issue is a day-in-the-life story called simply Thursday.

Oh - Decoder Ring Theater in an internet Podcast in the form of old-time radio serials. They do an awesome hard boiled detective series (Black Jack Justice) and an awesome mystery man series (The Red Panda.) Check them out a WWW.DECODERRINGTHEATRE.COM; if you are a fan of pulp and two-fisted tales, this is one of the great revivals of the genre.
The_Drake

Postby leto17 » February 25th, 2011, 5:21 am

One of the things I really appreciate about your work is how the heroines repay the villains in kind by controlling, seducing, and subverting them; they aren't just prim goody-goodies. They like sex, they like power, and they have a definite dark eroticism which I very much appreicate; that's very refreshing and allows you to create some interesting and unorthodox storylines and sexy punishments and endings for villains. Its nice to see you present this darker vision, especially when the bad guys get their just desserts...and are made to like it! It's far more sexy and entertaining than just simply shuffling the bad guys off to prison.
leto17

Postby Hector2 » March 24th, 2011, 12:01 am

Hi Drake:

I have a little doubt with this Maxine Midnight last issue: I really tought issue 6 was the last, but this tale is more some kind of transition between the sculptress arc and the maids arc, I believe.

The characterization for Maxine and Lucinda was right again, and as the twins and the Sparsky brothers. I loved them all, as for the gore discretion shoot… Thank you… I really wouldn't want to see the Matrioska movement from Lucinda… as the twins said, when they do the glowing thing, is not nice to see.

The only thing I find disappointing is about the twins: Maxine take them to his lair (only one of his lairs! Like the Shadow! How much resources Maxine has?) and talks about revealing the truth to his allies. In the Shadow stories, that thing was always mysterious as sinister. If you have seen the movie, when the Shadow informs a kidnapped Doctor that now he is his ally, the doctor shudders. It was not a call to adventure, but a call to a dark world, leaded by a deranged madman… or whatever entity the Shadow really was… but here… the twins have and orgy and are brainwashed by Maxine at the end… and it’s implied that this is the last of a lot of times…

Maybe it was better for the twins… after all, the Shadow associates were very jealous of his privacy, and I remember one of them that was even more mysterious that the shadow and was always working incognito… I would like to know more of Maxine and his true powers but, just like the Shadow, maybe there are things man is not meant to know…Thanks for your work!

Hector.
Hector2

Next

Return to Drake