League of Liberty - "The Past & Present of Duality Dame"

Discuss the "League of Liberty" and other stories with Akonkid!

Re: League of Liberty - "The Past & Present of Duality Dame"

Postby Akonkid » July 6th, 2010, 4:48 pm

Hey everyone. I got some more in the furthering adventures of Duality Dame for you to enjoy.

Duality Dame's past is behind her, but her present is troubling and her future is grim. If she couldn't defeat her greatest adversary after over a hundred years, what hope does she have of finally putting the demon down for good? But her friends come to her aid and together they decide to undertake a dangerous gamble that will either save Duality Dame's soul or destroy them all! The stakes couldn't be higher and the drama couldn't be more intense! Will they succeed? Find out in "The Past & Present of Duality Dame'"#8, only at MCComix!

Catch the excitement here: http://www.mccomix.com/members/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=11847

I hope you all enjoy! Take care!
If she would just do what I asked, I wouldn't need to use mind control!
Akonkid

Postby begbie_rentonspud » July 6th, 2010, 6:46 pm

Another great issue, sir. And it had a very touching moment there. It's great to see the human side of these characters. Can't wait for the next issue... No... Really... I can't. But, I guess I'll be forced to :P.

Keep up the awesome work.

Begbie_Rentonspud
begbie_rentonspud

Postby Trishbot » July 6th, 2010, 10:49 pm

Excuse me, waiter? There's some character development and emotional resonance in my erotic superhero mind control comic?

This is why I LOVE these type of comics; any hero can wind up naked and hypnotized, but in these stories, you actually give a damn about these girls. They're not cardboard cutouts without personalities with generic costumes or names that exist only as body counts. They grow, develop, mature, evolve, and react believably and with dignity.

And I don't think I'm alone in this, but I think that makes them HOTTER. A Wonder Woman-clone isn't bad, by any means, but these girls seem like the irresistible girl-next-door types. What other type of adult comics deal with issues such as self-sacrifice, bravery against overwhelming odds, dealing with the loss of family and the acceptance of a new one?

Someone once told me that many stories could switch the roster around and be exactly the same, but the most memorable stories have heroines that stand out. I'd read before how strong of a bond Duality Dame and Emerald Tiger had, but this really hit it home for me. I admit, I got choked up. And Gypsy Moth proves that she is both a brave, selfish, and competent heroine worthy of assuming the leadership role Suprema left behind.

I can't wait for more.
Trishbot

Postby Northern Chill » July 7th, 2010, 2:45 pm

A very solid chapter with bonding and dialogue you rarely see in this genre and some very well depicted magic usage. Judging by the closing scenes, it'll be back to more action in the next chap....should be a good one!
Check out past covers from stories found here as well as text stories I've written at http://nchill.deviantart.com

"What does this story need?...more Franbot!!!"
Northern Chill

Postby Akonkid » July 20th, 2010, 2:22 pm

Hey guys. Things are certainly heating up in this penultimate chapter to Duality Dame's epic, century-spanning adventure.

A desperate bid to free Duality Dame from the demon within her was successful, but the demon has chosen the far more powerful Gypsy Moth as its new host! Now Duality Dame and Emerald Tiger face an even greater threat as one of the deadliest, most ancient demons of the underworld wields the magical abilities of one of the most powerful sorceresses on the planet! But all hope isn't lost as Duality Dame reveals she has one final plan that could put the demon away for good... but can Emerald Tiger go along with this plan once the terrible cost is revealed? Find out in "The Past & Present of Duality Dame", only at MCComix!

Check it out here: http://www.mccomix.com/members/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=12325

Only one more issue to go, guys. Keep your eyes pealed for the epic finale!
Akonkid

Postby Northern Chill » July 21st, 2010, 6:49 pm

This was a very solid chap in many ways..action, great dialogue and the set up of what could be an impossible fight for Duality Dame to win without losing as well. Looking forward with some anticipation to the finale!
Check out past covers from stories found here as well as text stories I've written at http://nchill.deviantart.com

Northern Chill

Postby Akonkid » August 2nd, 2010, 10:21 pm

It's been a long, hard battle, but Duality Dame's epic struggle comes to a close.

It's the final issue of Duality Dame's centuries-long journey, and all the ghosts of Duality Dame's past emerge in her present for one last, desperate bid for survival. There can be no surrender, no mistakes, and no compromise. But how can Duality Dame defeat a foe she hasn't managed to triumph over for over 300 years? With the very souls of her friends and herself on the line, Duality Dame makes one final gamble to save them all.... but will she endure the ultimate sacrifice? Find out Duality Dame's fate in the final installment of "The Past & Present of Duality Dame", only at MCComix!

See the final battle here: http://www.mccomix.com/members/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=13026

It's been a great run, guys. Thanks for supporting MCComix, and feel free to drop me some feedback on the final issue and the story as a whole. I always appreciate it.
Akonkid

Postby teridoll » August 2nd, 2010, 11:35 pm

A truly amazing story, but i have to say a heartbreaking ending. She was my favorite and will miss her. Never thought a comic could bring a tear to my eye. Thank you for proving me wrong with this very well told story.
teridoll

Postby tomcat » August 3rd, 2010, 3:57 am

It was amazing story. Sad ending, though completely understandable. One cannot expect the happy ends when demons are involved.
That was one of the stories that could've deserved a hardcover binding.
Thank You
tomcat

Postby dumbtime » August 3rd, 2010, 9:46 am

OK, I started to agree with everyone about how sad an ending this was. The internal battle for her soul with this demon was about to spill over into her current world and destroy the people she loved at the time. She sacrificed herself for the good of others. The collage of inspiration from the images of all her friends and family was very well done and the drama at the end with Emerald Tiger was touching. But, then it hit me. Is this the end or just a giant cliffhanger? Her body's not dead, just her soul is missing. If her soul is in another realm, is it possible to bring it back down the road?

Other questions come to mind - Will Emerald Tiger crack because of this and go off the good superheroine path she was on? How will the League continue with a large portion of its leadership missing or distraught? And what's with the looking after 'his' daughter bit?

Anyways, I have a suggestion from my deviant mind with what to do with the leftover DD - Why not get Dr. Ted Twiss over to Liberty Grove and hook DD's body to a computer and turn it into Robo DD. That way the league could still get some use out of her and it would drive a deeper wedge into Emerald's heart. (Yes, i know its demented and trivial. But, its imaginative.)
dumbtime

Postby Northern Chill » August 3rd, 2010, 9:55 am

As soon as I saw the cover to this final chapter, I suspected this story might end this way. As such, it's left me with mixed feelings.

On the one hand, this was a great conclusion to a story...action, dialogue, this chapter had it all. Duality Dame's determination to overcome the odds and make sure the demon would not bring harm to her friends and family was admirable. The emotion seen in the final few panels was truly touching and the text accompanying the art was spot on.

On the other hand, well, this is kind of a selfish thing on my part but I enjoyed Duality Dame more than any other character in the League dating back to her earlier appearances. To see her go out like this is a bit...too sad. Although, I am often reminded of an old adage that in comics, death for a character never needs to be permanent. It just requires the right setting and story down the line.

A phenomenal story arc, Akonkid!...you hit every note with precision and this is truly one story I would recommend to anybody looking for a good read in this niche.

Keep up the great work!

Northern Chill

Postby Trishbot » August 3rd, 2010, 10:40 am

A lot of us come here to get our mind control fixes and enjoy some hot, naked hypno heroines.

Few of us I believe expected to become emotionally drawn in to these stories or to have our heartstrings tugged like this.

I'm sure I'm not the only person that was shocked by the outcome of this story. "Bad endings" have happened before, like the recent "Vanishing Act", but never did they have the gravity, sacrifice, and personal sense of loss and longing like this story had. And yet, looking back, the previous chapters were littered with the signs and the inevitable outcome.

That said, the issue had several excellent bits in it, and also opened up a lot of new questions.

1. I enjoyed how Duality Dame's final fight had her referencing the very lessons she taught Jade Lightning. It was great to see how practical and universal her lessons were, and it was clever to see them brought up during combat against the demon. Even the techniques she'd used to "safely" defeat opponents was well done.

2. The montage of everyone important to her from her past really resonated with me. It struck me very much as a "life flashes before your eyes" and gave her closure in the face of her own demise. She talked often about her "legacy", and if this truly is the end of Duality Dame, she left one hell of a legacy, that's affected the entire League and even the Superheroine Squad at Metrobay.

3. This story has frequently skipped around and hinted at some big revelation Duality Dame had about Emerald Tiger and her father. What was the "promise" she made to The Masked Merc? It's also rather tragic and ironic that when Duality Dame offered to tell her, Emerald Tiger rejected it and said she could tell her later....

4. This story really hammered home just how close Duality Dame and Emerald Tiger were. They'd always been shown as close, but when you factor in how Duality Dame viewed her surrogate daughter and how it was Duality Dame, not her own mother Kat Krusader, that trained and raised her to be a superhero, it really makes the final moments very bittersweet. I don't see Emerald Tiger taking the outcome well at all, and I'm eager to see how these events shape her down the line.

5. As others have mentioned, Duality Dame isn't necessarily "dead" (I think), but what DO you do with a body without a mind or soul? Just put it in storage? Put some computer chips in there to make her a cyborg? At this point, Duality Dame is almost a symbol to the others, so her "death" could be catastrophic.... would the heroines try and hide this from the others by manipulating her body? And what happened to her soul? Was it "killed" off? Or was it sent to some limbo? There's a lot of possibilities on Duality Dame's ultimate fate, both body and mind, and I'm sure we'll be hearing more ideas one what should be done. I don't doubt we'll see Duality Dame back in action at some point, somehow.

Overall, what an emotional rollercoaster of a story. It was full of humor, horror, tragedy, love, action, mind control, eroticism, and depth. I can't see what the follow up to this is.
Trishbot

Postby Tecknophyle » August 3rd, 2010, 11:01 am

The only moderately critical point I have to make is that unfortunately the characters haven't made enough appearences in order to really get to the emotional depths the story indictates. There's really nothing you can do about it, and within that handicap it was done fairly well.

On to the positive: no deus ex machina. The setup earlier in the story made it quite clear there was no easy way out of the situation she was in, and I really hate it when there's a cheap out at the end to maintain the status quo.
Tecknophyle

Postby Doctor Robo » August 3rd, 2010, 1:40 pm

Totally not the ending I was expecting for this story, and that's a good thing! I hope this isn't the last we see of Duality Dame, but if it is then she had a great send-off!

- Doc
Doctor Robo

Postby tomcat » August 3rd, 2010, 3:44 pm

I hope it's not her last appearance either. After all, by the death of her soul, she's just been made a beautifully empty vessel for whomever to find and use it.
Half of the villains here would say 'hey, it's only half fun when you can't strip her of... her, first' , but oh well... ^^
tomcat

PreviousNext

Return to Akonkid