The Master of His Domain announcement and comments

Discuss "Master of His Domain" and other stories with Tecknophyle!

The Master of His Domain announcement and comments

Postby Tecknophyle » July 6th, 2012, 2:42 pm

Rudy Montrose was facing middle age, forced retirement, and felt his life was spiraling out of control. And then something happened...

Welcome to the premiere episode of The Master of His Domain. As a message to readers, episodes 1, 2, and 3 were initially a single one that has been split into three due to its size, so please take that into account when judging the first episode or two.

A big thank you to the Doc and people here at MCComics for giving me the privilege of sharing this with you.

http://www.mccomix.com/gallery2/main.ph ... emId=49819
Tecknophyle

Re: The Master of His Domain #1

Postby Mr. Cryptic » July 6th, 2012, 8:57 pm

This was really interesting! It kind of made me feel like I was watching an episode of "Tales from the Darkside" (that's a good thing :) ).
Mr. Cryptic

Postby SuckerPunch » July 6th, 2012, 9:32 pm

Very intriguing set up and premise. Im looking forward to the next chapter
"I'm making this up as i go"

Currently working on-
Tailor Made Part 5
A Tale with A Twist (Story completed, Release date TBA)

Coming soon...SuckerPunch's original stories 'Ladies of the Night'
SuckerPunch

Postby Champ » July 7th, 2012, 8:06 pm

I liked the start of this. A deal with the devil! Its promising. :)
Champ

Postby Tecknophyle » July 8th, 2012, 5:22 am

It gets a little bit bigger than that...

Here's a quick preview image from the 4th issue. Nothing especially important, but you can see the look I'm going for (which isn't present in the first three issues because I finally figured the render settings I want balancing speed and look after those renders were in the can).
Attachments
PreviewIssue04-1.jpg
Tecknophyle

Postby Champ » July 9th, 2012, 9:32 pm

All of these previews are awesome. Drives me crazy to wait for the next issue. :)
Champ

Postby madcap » July 10th, 2012, 9:13 pm

It definitely has potential, but without knowing more yet I don't know if it will hold my interest or not...but I will definitely stick with it long enough to find out if I like the direction it moves in!
madcap

Postby Tecknophyle » July 10th, 2012, 10:17 pm

madcap wrote:It definitely has potential, but without knowing more yet I don't know if it will hold my interest or not...but I will definitely stick with it long enough to find out if I like the direction it moves in!

Fair enough. One of the reasons all three first episodes were originally a single one that I would have liked to have uploaded all at once was to--basically--get the pilot episode over with so people get a sense of what's happening, introduce (some of the) main characters, and hint at the overall setting.

That said, things start moving faster in episode 2, and I'll be interested in what people say about episode 3, which also introduces new characters and gives a hint of a wider world. Episode 4 (which is in the can) is all action, but I suspect some people may have some issues with it; I can't say more about it because it would utterly ruin The Reveal. I've also got a better grasp on the characters' voices and personalities after having spent a few weeks working with them.

The one thing I would say is that, with all due respect to the North American comic book tradition, I don't view it as a comic despite using the trappings; one of the reasons I referred to its parts as "episodes" above is that I'm thinking of it more that way. Less Justice League of America, more Babylon 5. Characters change--permanently--and actions have consequences. The reset button has not been installed.

One other thing: I tend to the more "realistic" depiction of characters. The characters have their own motivations and personalities, and I try to make them more than simple stereotypical "good guy/bad guy". Someone might be on the side of the angels and be thoroughly unpleasant, while a charming and polite character who does cool things is actually a complete monster. So that might not be to everyone's tastes.
Tecknophyle

Postby Champ » July 11th, 2012, 6:20 pm

Champ wrote:All of these previews are awesome. Drives me crazy to wait for the next issue. :)

I must be getting antsy with seeing covers 1 through 5 in the preview section. This series is going to be good....(you can judge a comic by its cover. XD)
Champ

Postby Hector2 » July 18th, 2012, 3:53 pm

Dear Teknophile

“Master of his domain” # 1 takes a lot of time to develop into the story and even worse, there is nothing sexy happening! (well, if you consider sexy to have an smugly naked creature almost demon called Ravenon in your bed) However, it’s worth it only to see the character development you gave to Rudy.

After reading your story, I felt like I know Rudy and how he would react in all the story. I felt identified with the lack of control in his life and therefore with his need to control everything.

Also Ravenon is interesting. Few times I have seen someone who clearly states: I'm a villain and a jerk and I don't care about what happens to you! And yet he manages to convince Rudy, because Rudy is truly desperate. He remembers me Mefistofele's attitude from "Fausto".

This story shows promise, and I will be anxious to see it.
Hector2

Postby Tecknophyle » July 18th, 2012, 5:46 pm

Hector2 wrote:Also Ravenon is interesting. Few times I have seen someone who clearly states: I'm a villain and a jerk and I don't care about what happens to you! And yet he manages to convince Rudy, because Rudy is truly desperate. He remembers me Mefistofele's attitude from "Fausto".

Yeah, about that...

You might be a bit, um, confused by that thought come Friday.
Tecknophyle

Postby Champ » July 18th, 2012, 8:04 pm

Since its such a surprise, we could go for a Thurs release of the next issue. XD...Kidding,
Champ

Postby Tony » July 20th, 2012, 9:30 am

Personally, I think you should keep all the comments for this series in this one thread. That would include announcing new chapters/issues as they come out. That way, all the comments for the entire series is in one place.

I really liking where this has been going.

Tony
Tony

Postby Tecknophyle » July 20th, 2012, 10:26 am

Tony wrote:Personally, I think you should keep all the comments for this series in this one thread. That would include announcing new chapters/issues as they come out. That way, all the comments for the entire series is in one place.

I really liking where this has been going.

Tony

Hmm. Good point.
Tecknophyle

Re: The Master of His Domain announcement and comments

Postby Tecknophyle » July 20th, 2012, 10:32 am

Thread title changed to reflect Tony's idea.
Tecknophyle

Next

Return to Tecknophyle