The Division: CORE

Discuss "The Division" and other stories with Uzobono!

Re: The Division: CORE

Postby Ghosthand » January 7th, 2014, 8:56 pm

Once again another amazing issue! This is by far one of my favorite comic universes! Have you ever thought of letting it spill over into the game Second Life? I would go nuts if I found a drone hive there:)

the story was awesome. what started out and a simple mind control issue turned very quickly into another attempt by the Agency to spread it's influence and control. I take it the mind control device that was used injected the nanites into the victim. They must be similar to the sleeper agents hinted at in the hive in chapter 3. I wonder how many of them are out there ready to become full blown drones at the flip of a switch? I also wonder what would have happened if they had actually placed the unit on Tammy's head? Would her Core implant been able to protect her?

The controller drones can cause a full conversion in the field, in just a few seconds? That is awesome, and quite frightening! Nemesis seems to be in full control of the drones at this time but what if Haven defeats her? With the controller drones able to work independently and having the ability to convert others outside of the lab could we be looking at a possible world take over by machines? I do hope that Ruby Drone has this ability and gets to use it on zephyr (I don't like her!)

There is one thing that caught my attention though. Right after Melanie went into the lower levels by herself there is a blank spot from her about to get attacked and Tammy and Nicole finding her. I know for a long time of being a horror/sci-fi fan that blank spots like that are never a good thing! Did something happen to her? Can't wait to find out!
Ghosthand

Postby sohta123 » January 8th, 2014, 6:22 pm

@Ghosthand- re-read the previous issue more closely for a better insight on what went on with Melanie in the hall with the drone.

I too am wondering if CORE gals are impervious to all other forms of mind control.
sohta123

Postby Ghosthand » January 8th, 2014, 9:04 pm

sohta123 wrote:@Ghosthand- re-read the previous issue more closely for a better insight on what went on with Melanie in the hall with the drone.

I too am wondering if CORE gals are impervious to all other forms of mind control.

Not sure if I understand what you mean but in Core 3 when Melanie went up against someone who had been droned mentally but not physically yet she got her butt handed to her and most likely would have been captured if not for the intervention of Nicole. Is this what you meant?

I don't think personally that the Core officers are immune to droning, that is a nanite infestation of their whole body. but they may be able to resist the reprogramming of their mind. It would all rely on who has the better programming, Core or the Agency.
Ghosthand

Postby sohta123 » January 9th, 2014, 10:33 am

Ghosthand wrote:Not sure if I understand what you mean but in Core 3 when Melanie went up against someone who had been droned mentally but not physically yet she got her butt handed to her and most likely would have been captured if not for the intervention of Nicole. Is this what you meant?.

Prior to that. The scene with Melanie just prior to Haven waking her up.
sohta123

Postby obviousagent » January 9th, 2014, 10:37 am

I have to say I think that the CORE officers can withstand mind control techniques better than a normal person and that is shown; but I feel droning would easily defeat them as it is at a molecular level.
If you look at the "Lady" character in the Division series she appeared to have been CORED; now I'm wondering if she was a prototype for CORE and if so then the CORE tech comes from the Agency.
That is not good news for CORE but offers all sorts of delightful corruption and droning possibilities for the future :D
obviousagent

Postby xarielx » January 9th, 2014, 2:42 pm

Hello Uzo and Tabico. First I'd like to congratulate you both on another masterpiece, you've both exceeded my expectations in the quality and quantity of work in your comics as well as your stories. This issue was one this reader was anticipating for some time, and you both deliver on a grand scale. Visual evocations of some classic panoramas reminiscent of Blade Runner, your page 21 should be a poster in itself, and mental imagery I would suspect would fit right in with the themes of Deux Ex and Tekworld. I'm going to echo some of the formatting issues, I found a few pages unwieldy to view, but as you pointed out, a simple zooming function fixed that technical difficulty.

The story itself was a monster, as the posters above indicated, I was wary of Melanie's "time lost" state. It is a common theme in much of Tabico's work, and a hallmark of her writing, which leads the reader to speculate. I now take those scenes at face value and deem Melanie is fine, I hope. The profound issue I hope to see resolved is Melanie and her relationship with her friends, clearly Nicole is acting unusual, which Melanie seemingly gives no notice to. Tammy seems unchanged in her personality, whereas Nicole revels in her uninhibited state, a steamy change that I loved. The story was a sizzling read, with the clubbing panoramas, something I adored to see as a clubber, as well as the mind control, the implementation, and the sudden twist which struck me as sharply brilliant. The Agency, or Hive, seems a so much more malignant force to deal with, and after this issue, I think the cost of meddling with drones, as noted by Mistress Ocqua's delicious comeuppance, will have to be addressed.

Thank you both for delivering such a staggering work to us, and may you both continue to dazzle us all for a long time to come!
xarielx

Postby Ghosthand » January 9th, 2014, 4:45 pm

sohta123 wrote:
Ghosthand wrote:Not sure if I understand what you mean but in Core 3 when Melanie went up against someone who had been droned mentally but not physically yet she got her butt handed to her and most likely would have been captured if not for the intervention of Nicole. Is this what you meant?.

Prior to that. The scene with Melanie just prior to Haven waking her up.

If you are talking about Core3_93 that is not Melanie, that is Nicole. The two scenes do blend together but it is obviously not her. She was wearing her imitation drone suit and the one being enslaved is nude and has hair hanging down. Haven did save her in the hive, but there was no one there in that hall. In cases like this, in most stories, what was not shown is usually more revealing that what was shown :) Of course this is just all guess work and we will just have to wait to see what happens!
Ghosthand

Postby Telsis » January 9th, 2014, 7:12 pm

Ghosthand wrote:
If you are talking about Core3_93 that is not Melanie, that is Nicole. The two scenes do blend together but it is obviously not her. She was wearing her imitation drone suit and the one being enslaved is nude and has hair hanging down.

I'd hazard a guess that Core3_93 is the women Melanie tries to rescue in Core3_100, having been mind wiped and with a slave mind installed as a sleeper. Check out the nipple pigment and shape and colour of her lips (on her face :)), also different neck and wrist bands.

She also seems to have received a bit more up top during the process...
Telsis

Postby sohta123 » January 9th, 2014, 11:18 pm

Telsis wrote:I'd hazard a guess that Core3_93 is the women Melanie tries to rescue in Core3_100, having been mind wiped and with a slave mind installed as a sleeper. Check out the nipple pigment and shape and colour of her lips (on her face :)), also different neck and wrist bands.

Ok I agree with this after re-looking at it. But I'm still pretty convinced that in Core3_94 when Mel wakes up she's already been treated just the same as the girl in page 100. I think she's now a mole in CORE without her knowledge.
sohta123

Postby Sumatra » January 11th, 2014, 4:47 pm

sohta123 wrote:
Telsis wrote:I'd hazard a guess that Core3_93 is the women Melanie tries to rescue in Core3_100, having been mind wiped and with a slave mind installed as a sleeper. Check out the nipple pigment and shape and colour of her lips (on her face :)), also different neck and wrist bands.

Ok I agree with this after re-looking at it. But I'm still pretty convinced that in Core3_94 when Mel wakes up she's already been treated just the same as the girl in page 100. I think she's now a mole in CORE without her knowledge.

Don't think so. Makes no sense if she was given that programming, she had to fight another human drone. Why would the drones go through all that trouble? Seems inefficient.

Looking back, a pivotal scene is Doctor Rei and the Director droning that reporter. Melanie saw that go down, hasn't been brought up. Thinking Melanie isn't working with the Director fully, she has a plan to bring her down. Seems drones are spreading, Melanie's on to them, ends up taking down Director, takes control. Have a new Haven, while old one falls. Guessing.

Fucking awesome issue, again. Great dialogue, art is best yet.

-Sumatra
Sumatra

Postby Ghosthand » January 11th, 2014, 9:53 pm

Don't you just love a story like this? I love to try and figure out what is coming next :) And you know the artist and or writer are not going to pop in and say "Yeah, you're right, you caught us!". They are just going to sit back and smile leaving us to go nuts anticipating the next issue!

My theory is that Mel has been saved up to this last chapter. She might not totally agree with the Directors tactics but sees them as necessary. Just this last adventure has proven that. I do wonder why the Director has the droning pod... What use does she have for that?

As I said, I think Mel hasn't been compromised up to this last chapter, but I think something happened to her in that hall, and it can't be good for Core!

I've always said that Uzobono's work is well worth the wait, but damn it's hard waiting for it!! These are some of the best comics of the genre ever!! The writing and artwork are nothing short of fantastic. I download these comics and even zoomed in close the details are flawless and the story itself are masterpieces. The heroines and victims (sometimes those are the same) don't just stand there as if they are saying, "Here I am, come mind control me!". They fight back and are only caught when it seems reasonable. The villains are believable in their roles, and are quite villainous I might add :) It is such a well constructed universe and story! This isn't just a cheap thrill, it is a real story!
Ghosthand

Postby obviousagent » January 12th, 2014, 1:55 am

Ghosthand I couldn't have put it any better myself.
The stories suck you in and you have to go along for the ride.
obviousagent

Postby sohta123 » January 19th, 2014, 6:03 am

Will we find out what happened to the mysterious disappearing friends Melissa and Rikki at some point? Melissa joined CORE a year before Tammy but that's all that is mentioned.
Just curious. Not a big deal if they are not in the story.

Are we looking at late spring or summer for the next issue?
sohta123

Postby msgrey » January 19th, 2014, 11:14 am

Hello Uzobono! I think I am in love! Thank you for this issue!

#4, ZONEDANCE, is the BEST in your long line of comics. This is a delivery of epic porportions! The story is better each issue, I was nervous to turn the pages.

The costumes were like a film. The CORE characters beauty shines in this issue. Melanie is still the best hero in all of your comics, she is real, she is concerned for her friends, a true character, but I fear this cannot last for long. It is good to see her friends are not drones or mindless, they seem not to have changed very far.

Your art work for the club was fantastic, and I will hold this as a treasure to keep. THANK YOU! PLEASE TELL US YOU WILL CONTINUE!
msgrey

Postby sohta123 » March 24th, 2014, 9:05 pm

Any timeframe for the next issue? And possibly a cover?
Anxiously waiting.
sohta123

PreviousNext

Return to Uzobono