Victory City: Lord Prospero saga

Discuss "American Goddess" and other stories with Mr. Cryptic!

Re: Victory City: Lord Prospero saga

Postby jrhcl2 » July 8th, 2012, 8:25 am

Mr. Cryptic wrote:Those are all good questions, CL.

Ishtar's relationship with the other gods is complicated. I don't think she can just order the other gods to go to battle for her.

I think Ishtar, at least at this point in her life, sees mortals and gods as more similar than they are different. Why she refrains from a committed sexual relationship will be addressed more in the future.

I'm planning a series called "Secrets of Ishtar" which will reveal more about Ishtar's origins and the nature of her people, the Annunaki. It'll probably be at HIP Comix since I do more updates there.

Hello Mr. Cryptic !! That a great idea, Secrets of Ishtar!! I'd like to know more about Ishtar !! Meaning, we know about the hero Ishtar, Maria Jones the agent and her powers, not how she got her powers, how she become queen and nothing about her people these other Annunaki Gods. That was one of the reasons i was looking forward to the adventures of Ishtar, to learn about Ishtar the person!! But the adventures of Ishtar turned out to be about the rise of Lord Prospero!! We really didn't learn that much more about Ishtar. As least to me, we know more about Brickhouse the person, than about Ishtar the person!!

Who is Ishtar the person?? How did she become queen?? Was it her birth right? How did she get the title of the Goddess of war?? Does she have a battle plan when in combat?? Are is she like the Hulk, does she think she can just overpower any villain she faces? Is that why she doesn't react quickly when a villain has her on the ropes?? How much time has she really spend living in the mortal world?? Ishtar seems to prefer to spent her time in the mortal world, why doesn't Ishtar spent more time at home in the heavens on her throne being the queen of the Annunaki Gods?? Since Ishtar is a Goddess and immortal, she has lived centuries!! Has Ishtar ever been in love?? Did Ishtar have a bad relationship early in her life and that why she won't be in a committed relationship??
C.L.
jrhcl2

Postby jrhcl2 » July 23rd, 2012, 1:51 pm

Hello Mr. Cryptic!! The summer is almost over!! Will we see the Goddess Panthera Khan in the near future? I'm wondering how she tie into this story, i'm looking forward to her new series!! I know you had no control over these events that made you transfer Victory City and The Adventures Of Ishtar to this site, but it been over a year since you said you would be doing that series. It has also been over a year since Ishtar appeared in The Adventures Of Ishtar# 6 , May 15, 2011!! Ishtar has yet to appear in Mr. Cryptic comix on this site!! :cry: She has appeared in the reposted Mr. Cryptic comics and in Mctek comix on this site. She's appeared over on hipcomix, are you still planning to keep Ishtar on ice here on this site ??? :| I recall you saying that it was not your intention to have Ishtar be out of commission as long as it's been, I think it's been close to two years since she has appeared as the Goddess Ishtar in the Victory City series!! C.L.
jrhcl2

Postby Mr. Cryptic » August 6th, 2012, 6:52 pm

I got busy with things and never answered this last question. Sorry!

The Lord Prospero saga is taking a lot longer to finish than I planned due to various contingencies. Of course over at HIP Comix I'm doing stories in different time frames where Ishtar is still active. I imagine in time within the comic universe, Ishtar is only out of action for a few weeks, but in real time within that storyline it ends up being years. Sorry about that.

I'm still planning the same basic story that I had planned originally. Panthera Khan is still slated to appear in the storyline. I need to learn more about how to do scenes with large numbers of characters efficiently. As it is now it's a lot more work to do the current Victory City updates than the ones I'm doing at HIP Comix. I'm anxious to finish the fight scene and move on.
Mr. Cryptic

Postby Tecknophyle » August 7th, 2012, 9:45 am

Mr. Cryptic wrote:I need to learn more about how to do scenes with large numbers of characters efficiently. As it is now it's a lot more work to do the current Victory City updates than the ones I'm doing at HIP Comix. I'm anxious to finish the fight scene and move on.

Do you mean in rendering, or in setting it up? There's not much you can do about the rendering, but setups with multiple characters, especially when there are multiple shots using the same scene, goes much faster if you use simpler proxies to set it up, and use the animation palette.
Tecknophyle

Postby Mr. Cryptic » August 24th, 2012, 8:26 am

Hi Tecknophyle - I didn't mean to ignore oyur post so long, but I didn't feel ready to give an intelligent response.

I'm not sure what proxies are or how I would use the animation palette to set up a scene. I will have to research this later when I have more time. I haven't had time to develop my skills (apart from practicing by doing updates), and that's something I need to work on.

It's actually kind of a weird miracle that I can make these comics that a lot of people seem to like, since "on paper" I have nothing in my background that would seem to make it possible. I'm actually quite ignorant of the technical aspects of rendering. I used to play computer games, but then I bought Poser because I thought I would have more fun making my characters and stories. I know little about computers or programming (now that I know what I can do with Poser, I want to learn more). I'm a very poor artist (as in, art drawn by hand), and on top of that I'm colorblind (the labels on textures helps me get around that).

Anyway, when I have time I am going to do more studying on the best ways to do scenes with lots of characters.
Mr. Cryptic

Postby Tecknophyle » August 24th, 2012, 1:56 pm

Okay, I'm assuming you use Poser, although DS (or most software) would work pretty much the same way.

Let's assume you have a big fight scene with multiple characters, camera moving around, lots of action, but all in, say, a warehouse. This is the way I'd do it

1. First, set up your sets and props that aren't going to move, your lighting and so on. Perhaps add one or two of your characters to see how they render, moving them around to different positions where they might be in the final product to see how they look so you know if you have to adjust lights or whatnot. Don't bother posing them, just move them around. Depending on the quality of your rendering, you may have to spend a fair amount of time doing this or not. If you look at my series here in the free area, you'll note it's fairly high quality (in terms of shader effects, lighting, and so on), so I have to take the time to get it right. If I pumped out a render in 30 seconds due to my settings, I probably wouldn't worry as much about this step because it wouldn't take long to fix things up on the fly. When I'm spending anywhere from 5 to 8 minutes to complete a render, however, getting it right at the start saves me an enormous amount of time later.

2. With your scene set up, import basic figures to represent your characters. I know you use Victoria 4, so instead of using a finished V4 character, use the basic, no-morphs-loaded V4. Give it some basic colour to indicate what character it is. No clothing, no props (except ones like weapons that will be used), no hair. Just a basic dummy. Do the same for all the characters using their base models.

3. Make sure your animation palette is open. In frame 1, pose all your character proxies the way you want to start the fight (and anything else, like camera position and moving props or whatever). Now go to frame 2, and move and pose them as you want. Then keyframe everything. Go to frame 3 and repeat, then 4 and so on until the scene is done. If you have characters entering or exiting the scene in the middle of the fight, keep them out of view until the frame where they show up, and then move them into position. If they go away, in the frame after their last appearance, just move them somewhere out of view. Out of the scene, into another room, hell into a crate if you want. The important thing is to make sure every frame and everything in it is keyframed. If you do it right, when you select a frame in the animation timeline, what you see should be exactly what you posed for that frame.

4. When you've got your fight scene finished the way you want, go to each character in it and save their pose, including "all frames" (I forget what the exact wording is there) and "body transformation". You should have one pose for each single character.

5. Delete all your proxies, and load the actual characters into the scene.

6. Make sure you're in the first frame, and then give each character the pose you've saved for them. If you've done everything right, when you move the slider to another frame, all the characters should move into the proper position and pose you'd set up using their proxies.

7. Now you can go through the fight frame by frame and make small adjustments as necessary for what you see in the camera: moving flowing clothing, for instance, doing expressions, tweaking poses due to body morphs or high-heeled boots, whatever. Make sure, again, that everything is keyframed in every frame.

8. And now render. You have two options: you can render a frame, manually move to the next frame and render, and so on. Or you can render the scene as a movie: simply create an animation that uses the render settings and export it as a series of images instead of an avi or mov or whatever. Then tell it to start making the movie and go do something else. When you come back, you'll have your fight scene rendered.

The advantage of doing it this way is that you, essentially, have a saved file for every single image--so if you have to go back and redo one or more of the images, you can--but it's all in a single file. So, say if your fight scene comes out to 10 images, instead of ten saved pz3 files of a few hundred MBs each, you have a single file that's only a bit larger than one of those single files because the animation of the 10 frames only makes it a little bigger. The advantage of using the proxies to do most of your posing is that, if you have many characters, you're setting things up and doing most of your moving the camera and things around with smaller files, thus less memory needed and you don't have to wait for things to happen.

The process is, to anyone who's worked in the field, basically treating what you are doing as if you were directing a play, a television show, or a movie. First you set up the set. Then you run your "actors" through rehearsals, and then at the end you run the final take.

Now there can be variations. The above is what I'd do, as I said, for a big scene with many characters, all of them doing stuff. For a situation with only a few characters, or there's only a few images and/or not much movement, my computer is beefy enough I'll load the final character for the "rehearsal" bit instead of using proxies (which means I can skip the saving the poses step).

Give you a concrete example. Take the second scene in Episode 8 of my series, the one where Carol takes control of O'Meara. There's 14 images in that sequence, and here's how I built it.

Setup: conference room lighting and hallway. Do some test renders to make sure I have the lighting at the levels I want. Place characters in the initial pose you first see them in.
First frame: Dennings and O'Meara. Carol is in the same pose as when she first appears in frame 2.
Second Frame: Change in camera position, change in O'Meara and Dennings poses and expression, open door, see Carol.
Third frame: Changes in Dennings and O'Meara poses and expressions, and door pose. Change in camera position. No change in Carol because you see her from the back, so I don't have to change her expression or pose.
Fourth frame: Door closes. It stays closed so I won't have to touch it again. Dennings in not seen again, so I don't have to worry about posing him any more. Change in Camera position. Change in Carol and O'Meara poses and expressions.
Fifth frame : Change in pose and expression for O'Meara. Slight change in pose for Carol (dropping arm from handshake). Change in camera position.
Sixth frame: Change in pose/expression for O'Meara, change in camera position.
Seventh frame: Change in expression for O'Meara.
Eight Frame: Change in expression for O'Meara.
Ninth frame: Change in camera position. Change in pose for Carol (don't see face so can't see expression, so no change needed). Slight change in pose and expression for O'Meara.
Tenth frame: Change in camera position. Carol and O'Meara change pose and expression.
Eleventh frame: Here I set up Carol and O'Meara in the poses and expressions you'd see them with in frame 13, including making O'Meara's clothes invisible and adjusting her body morphs accordingly. For this frame, the camera is focused on Carol's face. What you don't notice (since you can't see Carol's lower body, and there's no shadows or reflections to give it away) is that she'd nowhere near a kneeling position: in fact, she's hovering a few inches above the floor.
Twelfth frame: Camera move for focus on O'Meara's face. No other changes.
Thirteenth frame: Camera move for full view of Carol and O'Meara.
Fourteenth frame: another camera move: slight change in O'Meara's pose (her head/neck goes back) and change in expression. Carol has no change in expression (since you can't see enough of her face to tell), her head and neck is bent forward, and her entire body is moved to get her head into the proper position: now she's not hovering over the floor, she's sunk into it.

Instead of 14 files, one file with 14 animation frames. Here's where the advantage of doing it this way came in: after everything was rendered, I realized I wanted O'Meara to have a slightly different body position in frame 10. Since the file was saved the way it was, it was an easy fix to re-render. If I want to change the lights or the colour of the table, I can do that as well by going back to first frame, making that change, and then stepping through the rest of the frames and re-rendering them instead of having to make the change in 13 or 14 separate files, or trying to re-create the images by reposing everything again (if I hadn't saved a file for each image), which were perfectly fine except for the colour of the table.
Tecknophyle

Postby Mr. Cryptic » August 30th, 2012, 11:24 pm

Thank you for that detailed description! It never occurred to me to use the animation palatte that way.

I will try this soon :) .
Mr. Cryptic

Postby Mr. Cryptic » September 14th, 2012, 2:42 pm

It's VERY good to be rendering again!

This update is early and late at the same time. I should be posting it tomorrow, but i'm not sure if I'll be able to, so I'm posting it now (and besides, it is Saturday in most of the world now :) ). Also, I meant to post this in July, so it is really long overdue!

The battle between heroines and villains rages on!
As Prospero uses his sexual magic to turn heroine heroine, Maria Jones and her comrades try to turn the tide!
Will all of the heroines fall under Prospero's spell?
Read the continuing erotic action in Victory City #29, in the member's section now!

http://www.mccomix.com/members/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=33518&g2_GALLERYSID=b1c8a7ecdcb17cf981b78251f48f786d

Mr. Cryptic

Postby Northern Chill » September 14th, 2012, 3:00 pm

I think you ticked the wrong box somewhere, Cryptic, when you uploaded...give it another try.

Very nice cover, btw..:)
Check out past covers from stories found here as well as text stories I've written at http://nchill.deviantart.com

"What does this story need?...more Franbot!!!"
Northern Chill

Postby Mr. Cryptic » September 14th, 2012, 8:06 pm

So I did. It is fixed now. Thank you, Northern!

Since I posted this a little early, I thought I should plug Teknophyle's update in the free area, "Master of his Domain", which was posted today too (as scheduled).
Mr. Cryptic

Postby jrhcl2 » September 17th, 2012, 11:01 am

Hello Mr. Cryptic!! Great Installment!!! Just to see Maria Jones kick Lord Prospero in the face, i always love seeing him getting his!! As far as i'm concern, i want to see the Goddess get some payback!! As least for me i can't wait for Prospero to fall!!I Lord Prospero is the villain i dislike the most that has faced Ishtar, with the thug right behind!!

This being said, it doesn't look so good for the team. These only one's who haven't fallen yet are Maria Jones and Ron!! I have to say when the Lord Prospero saga moved over to the victory City series i knew Brickhouse would be his slave, she can't resist any form of mind control, her will is very weak!! It seems Brickhouse spent more time attacking her fellow heroes than she does helping them!! Which bring up a question about Ishtar, does Ishtar do more harm than good?? Meaning Ishtar is really no different than any of the other heroes when it come to resisting mind control she always subcomes!! These only difference being she does a lot more damage when she under the villains control. You can use these current events as a example. She may not be able to control Prospero action,but her changing into Ishtar only made things worst, Ishtar provided him with the powerful magic he is now using, part of what's happening is on her!!

Lord Prospero clearly proved that he is more skilled at using magic than Ishtar!! I think if they meet again Propero will beat Ishtar again!! and this time she won't be so lucky, she won't have Ocelet Woman to save her and this time when Propero has sex with Ishtar he will be able to tap into Ishtar prana. These Adventures of Ishtar changed my view of Isthar as a hero, i was really surprised at how bad he made Ishtar look, but the thing that really shocked me was Ishtar being beaten by a novice mage!! Someone that was no where near as powerful as she was or had her knowledge of magic or had these experience with using magic as she did!! Ishtar falling to Prospero's simple magic is a example of how much harm she can cause!! I have to admit that i really don't have much faith in Ishtar or the Victory City heroes ability to stop Lord Prospero!! But that doesn't mean a outside person or persons may step in or even a twist of fate will stop him. Looking forward to the next installment. C.L.
jrhcl2

Postby Tecknophyle » September 17th, 2012, 11:25 am

Mr. Cryptic wrote:So I did. It is fixed now. Thank you, Northern!

Since I posted this a little early, I thought I should plug Teknophyle's update in the free area, "Master of his Domain", which was posted today too (as scheduled).

Well, technically I was about 45 minutes early in my time zone, but hey, it's always sometime somewhere.
Tecknophyle

Postby Mr. Cryptic » September 17th, 2012, 1:33 pm

Glad you enjoyed it CL!

Sorry we haven't seen the heroines being victorious too much in my comics (although I think Victory City's heroines are about as succesful as Metrobay's :) ). In an action story, I would tend to follow the Rocky trend, where the protagonists start out facing terrible odds, but win some kind of triumph in the end. You'll just have to see how this goes :) .
Mr. Cryptic

Postby jrhcl2 » September 17th, 2012, 3:43 pm

Hello Mr. Cryptic, thanks for replying to my comments in the forums. But i did forget to ask these questions, with all the different delays you've had with the Lord Prospero story, i think it will be two years Jan. 2013 since you started telling this story. My question, do you plan to complete the story this year? Will Ishtar make her first appears in Mr. Cryptic comics on this site this year?? When you do complete this story will we see a new installment from the adventures of Isthar series???

Lord Prospero really did a job on Ishtar !! He's been running around for almost two years. The Adventures of Ishtar #9 was posted on November 21st 2011, Ishtar has yet to make her appears. Sorry for asking the same question about Ishtar or pointing out how long she's been missing!! I really looking forward to the return of Ishtar!!. C.L.
jrhcl2

Postby Mr. Cryptic » September 18th, 2012, 11:11 pm

This storyline will probably not conclude until 2013, like you said. It's a really long storyline, and the various things that have delayed it have made it take longer to finish.

I figure that the time that has passed in the story from Adventures of Ishtar #1 to Victory City #29 is a few weeks, but in real time it's been almost two years.

I was feeling kind of down about the storyline (not liking it as much as the ones I was doing at HIP) but then I reread Victory City #22+ and really liked them again (sorry if that sounds conceited). I'm excited about the next update.

Minor spoilers, but since we see Ishtar, Brickhouse and American Goddess II in Victory Legion at HIP Comix, we already know that at least those three emerge from this ordeal with powers and minds restored. This story is really centered on Prospero and his rise to power. What will happen to him as this story unfolds we'll have to see. Panthera Khan and the Queen of the Night are also important and I'm anxious to do get to their parts in this.
Mr. Cryptic

PreviousNext

Return to Mr. Cryptic