Victory City #20-21 and The Adventures of Ishtar #1-2!

Discuss "American Goddess" and other stories with Mr. Cryptic!

Victory City #20-21 and The Adventures of Ishtar #1-2!

Postby Mr. Cryptic » October 31st, 2011, 1:41 am

I'm presenting chapters in two different sagas today, competing one and beginning another!
In Victory City, the heroines' struggle against Ultra Maxima comes to a conclusion!
Do the heroines defeat Ultra Maxima, or does the mutant dominatrix make all of Victory City her slaves?
If that isn't enough, today is also the beginning of the rerelease of The Adventures of Ishtar!
While on vacation, secret agent Maria Jones is targeted for seduction and mind control by a criminal agent!
What he doesn't know is the Maria is also the goddess and superheroine known as Ishtar!
Does this make him lucky or unlucky!?
We'll find out in The Adventures of Ishtar!
VIctory City #20-21 and The Adventures of Ishtar #1-2 are now in the free area:
http://www.mccomix.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=33775
Mr. Cryptic

Re: Victory City #20-21 and The Adventures of Ishtar #1-2!

Postby jrhcl2 » November 1st, 2011, 10:26 am

Hello Mr. Cryptic!! It has been enjoyable to read the whole Victory City series again!! We got to see the American Goddess in action in her new guise as Ishtar, we saw the newly formed SDA in action also , with it new director Paul Barnes and his assistant Director Maria Jones. We saw new heroines join the team in their fight against the evil Triskelion Guild, like Brickhouse and Ocelot Woman!!

We learned more about Ishtar's power, she can be overwhelmed by her own prana. We met and learned about the powerful mutant Ultra Maxima and how she gained her powers. I thought it was interesting that Ultra wanted brickhouse's invulnerability , but was not interested in Ishtar's powers, like her prana or becoming immortal ( Ishtar and Brickhouse are these only two heroines that have the power to defeat Ultra one on one) i was thinking since she wanted brickhouse's invulnerability, since it played a big part in Brickhouse's defeat of Ultra, just as Ishtar's prana played a big part in her defeat at the hands of Ishtar. I was also thinking, since she thinks of herself as the queen of the mutants, that she would want to be immortal too!!

We learned that the team does have a great mind on it, Sovereign, Because it seems before he appeared, all those the heroines has a lot of raw power,they always seem to be a step behind the villians, like the Buzzard, he was able to out smart them all. It will be interesting to see if the heroes and the SDA leadership has learned anything from these encounters, Because it seems that the Guild is always a step head of them.

Ishtar # 1 is a example of the Guild being pro-active, by sending a agent to capture the Assistant director of SDA Maria Jones (her and the SDA are completely unaware of their plans). It seem like the Guild has learned from their encounters with the SDA. If they are able to capture and control Maria Jones and her alter ego Ishtar (even those they don't know Maria is Ishtar yet ), they will be able to destroy the SDA and defeat the heroines, and with Ishtar ability to control people's minds, they will be able to control the heroines too!! With Ishtar under the Guild control, they will have her use her powers for evil, they will able to dominate Victory City, the world, maybe even other realmes. The team will be in a lot of trouble, if they lose Ishtar to the Triskeloin Guild!!

These questions may seem strange, But i was kind of surprised that Sovereign called Ishtar and Brickhouse his slaves in Victory City# 20, this make them seem like property, not his fellow heroes, it made me wonder does he value or respect them as team mates, i can understand why the villains would call their captured heroines slaves, but not one of their own. Why did Sovereign call them slaves, they both would have willingly helped him even without him using his mutant powers on them? Ishtar feared if she and Paul made love she would become his love slave, Why did she use slave to describe how she would feel after they made love?? I've been searching the web and reading some of stuff they have available online about Ishtar, every since i started following the adventures of Ishtar the Goddess of love and war and have learned a lot about her, she did take a lot of lovers , Gods and mortals ,But it was a mortal who eventually won the Goddess heart and tamed her wild spirit according to the myth.

CL
jrhcl2

Postby Mr. Cryptic » November 2nd, 2011, 6:24 pm

Thanks for all your kind comments, CL!
jrhcl2 wrote:These questions may seem strange, But i was kind of surprised that Sovereign called Ishtar and Brickhouse his slaves in Victory City# 20, this make them seem like property, not his fellow heroes, it made me wonder does he value or respect them as team mates, i can understand why the villains would call their captured heroines slaves, but not one of their own. Why did Sovereign call them slaves, they both would have willingly helped him even without him using his mutant powers on them? Ishtar feared if she and Paul made love she would become his love slave, Why did she use slave to describe how she would feel after they made love?? I've been searching the web and reading some of stuff they have available online about Ishtar, every since i started following the adventures of Ishtar the Goddess of love and war and have learned a lot about her, she did take a lot of lovers , Gods and mortals ,But it was a mortal who eventually won the Goddess heart and tamed her wild spirit according to the myth.

CL

When Soveriegn uses the term "slave," he's meaning it in the sense that they are so emotionally compelled by their attraction to him that they will do anything or almost anything for him. I see sex as being to a large degree about surrendering yourself to the other person and becoming completely vulnerable to them, and that's how Ishtar and Brickhouse were to Sovereign. In Brickhouse case, Sovereign had to get her mind to a place of absolute servitude, because that's what he needed to project into Ultra MAxima's mind (who had conveniently left an open channel into her mind, via Brickhouse. Ishtar was able to reenforce that state of mind by herself becoming totally mentally enslaved, then projecting that back into Brickhouse. The result was that, even though Ultra Maxima has incredible willpower, the "love slave" frame of mind projected into her from Brickhouse was too powerful for her to resist.

On the subject of Ishtar and Paul, it still has yet to be revealed exactly what limitations are on Ishtar that are preventing her from being with Paul, but in general, being in love and being in a realtionship are binding on a person. If you have a lover or spouse or whatever, it does pull your attention away from other things and other pursuits. Ishtar, as a goddess of love, is perhaps less able than a mere mortal to turn her attention away from a lover to focus on work (e.g. fighting supervillains). If she has a lover, it might completely dominate her life.

I'd be interested to see what you read about Ishtar/Inanna. I did a lot of reading about her (some library, some internet) when I was conceiving the character years ago, but not so much recently. Given that hot chicks that can fight are popular (certainly with me :) ), it just seemed obvious that a goddess of both love and war would make a great heroine.
Mr. Cryptic

Postby Trishbot » November 2nd, 2011, 8:38 pm

So glad you're sharing these with us!

These few issues were some of my favorites, especially with Brickhouse's involvement (and I loved her "dark" outfit). Thanks again!
Trishbot

Postby Mr. Cryptic » November 3rd, 2011, 10:58 pm

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Trishbot!

And I think you'll be glad to know that I plan to return to Brickhouse's story in December with Victory City #22!
Mr. Cryptic

Return to Mr. Cryptic