The Adventures of Ishtar!

Discuss "American Goddess" and other stories with Mr. Cryptic!

Re: The Adventures of Ishtar!

Postby Mr. Cryptic » February 28th, 2013, 3:20 pm

Thank you. I'm not sure what I did wrong. The links in the Update forum are wrong too, and I can't seem to fix them. I tried cutting and pasting the post from this forum but that didn't work. Maybe I'm swtiched into a non-HTML mode?
Mr. Cryptic

Postby MacroLass » February 28th, 2013, 10:27 pm

I couldn't get it to work in the Updates forum either so it must be a permission thing. Hopefully Jpeger will see something's wrong and take a look.
MacroLass

Postby Hector2 » March 1st, 2013, 12:38 pm

Dear Mr. Cryptic:

Adventures of Isthar # 12 was awesome... but awkward... it seems like the poor Steve Trevor will say when he (at last!) manages to discover WW secret identity...

Why I didn't noticed before?

My guess? Ishtar clouded his mind... in more than one way!

No really, only now he sees all those things that were so obvious? And his love between him and Maria let Ishtar to come back?

I suposse all the past Ishtar is referring to is nothing more than a smoke curtain Ishtar did to produce a normal life for hersel, a deep cover...

I am anxious to see next issue!
Hector2

Postby mns_95125 » March 2nd, 2013, 11:18 am

So, Ishtar is finally back and presumably ass-kicking will now ensue. In some ways I think you missed a trick here. I would have liked to see Prospero's hypnotic command prevent Maria from remembering her time as Ishtar even though she was in Ishtar's body. Watching Maria-as-Ishtar struggle to save the city while not fully understanding her own powers would have added another layer to the plot, and made her final victory over Prospero sweeter.
mns_95125

Postby Mr. Cryptic » March 2nd, 2013, 9:45 pm

Hector2 wrote:Dear Mr. Cryptic:

Adventures of Isthar # 12 was awesome... but awkward... it seems like the poor Steve Trevor will say when he (at last!) manages to discover WW secret identity...

Why I didn't noticed before?

My guess? Ishtar clouded his mind... in more than one way!

No really, only now he sees all those things that were so obvious? And his love between him and Maria let Ishtar to come back?

I suposse all the past Ishtar is referring to is nothing more than a smoke curtain Ishtar did to produce a normal life for hersel, a deep cover...

I am anxious to see next issue!

Ishtar's Ring of Transformation makes it so that it doesn't occur to people to think that Ishtar and Maria Jones are the same person, either by noticing that they look the same, or by noticing that they both wear the same ring on their thumb. Somehow the lovemaking allowed Paul to see the truth.

I've never depicted the Ishtar/American Goddess origin story, so we don't really know how Ishtar acquired the Maria Jones identity. The assumption is it worked like Wonder Woman becoming Diana Prince (basically, she created a fictional alias). Ishtar might have done things differently.
Mr. Cryptic

Postby Mr. Cryptic » March 2nd, 2013, 9:54 pm

mns_95125 wrote:So, Ishtar is finally back and presumably ass-kicking will now ensue. In some ways I think you missed a trick here. I would have liked to see Prospero's hypnotic command prevent Maria from remembering her time as Ishtar even though she was in Ishtar's body. Watching Maria-as-Ishtar struggle to save the city while not fully understanding her own powers would have added another layer to the plot, and made her final victory over Prospero sweeter.

I knew when I read your earlier comments that you would probably be a little disappointed by the way this would develop, mns. When I read your idea, I realized that it was a good one, but regretted that it didn't fit into what I had planned. Given that Ishtar has so many powers, it would be interesting to see struggle to master her powers if she forgot how to use them. That theme may come up in a future story.
Mr. Cryptic

Postby jrhcl2 » March 11th, 2013, 3:55 am

Hello Mr. Cryptic!! These last three installments of the Adventures of Ishtar have been the best!! As least for me, i have truely enjoyed seeing Ishtar and Paul relationship being explored !! I think you have done an oustanding job in showing that these two really do care for each other. I loved that it was Paul's feelings for Ishtar that enable her to remember who she really was!! I loved how Ishtar reacted to being found by Paul!! That scene!! That scene will be my favorite scene of all time from Mr. Cryptic comics!! Loved the expression on Ishtar face, When she was saying" you found me!!" Dare I say she had the look of love for Paul!! Great installment!! You did the return of Ishtar justice!! I LOVED IT!!
jrhcl2

Postby Mr. Cryptic » September 26th, 2013, 9:26 pm

With Lord Prospero and the Triskelion Guild finally defeated, Ishtar and Paul Barnes finally get some time alone!
The sexy rendezvous is in the Adventures of Ishtar #13, in the MC Comix member's area, now!

http://www.mccomix.com/members/gallery3/index.php/mrcryptic

Mr. Cryptic

Postby jrhcl2 » September 28th, 2013, 7:24 pm

Hello Mr. Cryptic!! Interesting installment!! I was looking forward to learning more about Ishtar and her people. I'm still not clear on what Ishtar was saying??? Is Ishtar really saying she's a spirit that has become a woman of skins and bones in this world ?? she really isn't a person with a body, but she's a spirit!! I got from what she was saying to Paul, that what she feared might happen from the adventure of Ishtar # 1 has happened!! She couldn't have sex with Paul someone she's love and just walk away, Paul really isn't just another guy among the many!! Its seem from what he was saying he understand and will accept her as she is!! She get to have her cake and eat it too!! This installment did answer my questions about them!! It has been hinted at over the past few years that they have feelings for each other, strong feelings. In the ROD, Victory city series, now it has finally been revealed in this installment, I thought Ishtar make some really strong statement about her feelings for Paul!! I hope we see more of Ishtar and Paul together in the very near future. Even those Ishtar is the hottest of all heroines and the most sexual of them! I have always felted sorry for her and thought she was the most limited, because she could only be with strangers, never with someone she loves!! Unlike these other heroines who can be with a stranger or someone they has feelings for. So i'm glad to see she can be with her love too!! :D
jrhcl2

Postby Mr. Cryptic » October 2nd, 2013, 12:46 am

Glad you liked it CL!

Ishtar is not a pure spirit at all. She's a human woman and a goddess at the same time. She was born a woman on Earth, to human parents living in Los Angeles. At some point she became aware that she was a goddess, and that in a realm beyond our time and space she chose to become incarnate on Earth.

So, it's a little complicated in that it's kind of like there's two Ishtars. There's the Ishtar on Earth that we see in these comics, and then there's another Ishtar in the heaven dimension. Within that heaven dimension Ishtar is a woman who is born, ages and eventually dies, but from our point of view she's eternal because our universe's spacetime is like a single moment of time in the heaven dimension. That's kind of hard to wrap the mind around, but she's a goddess so her true nature is hard to understand.

I still want to do a series where we see some of Ishtar in the heaven dimension. It would be a kind of fantasy genre story more than superheroic.

Keep reading!
Mr. Cryptic

Postby jrhcl2 » October 14th, 2013, 5:18 am

Mr. Cryptic wrote:Glad you liked it CL!

Ishtar is not a pure spirit at all. She's a human woman and a goddess at the same time. She was born a woman on Earth, to human parents living in Los Angeles. At some point she became aware that she was a goddess, and that in a realm beyond our time and space she chose to become incarnate on Earth.

So, it's a little complicated in that it's kind of like there's two Ishtars. There's the Ishtar on Earth that we see in these comics, and then there's another Ishtar in the heaven dimension. Within that heaven dimension Ishtar is a woman who is born, ages and eventually dies, but from our point of view she's eternal because our universe's spacetime is like a single moment of time in the heaven dimension. That's kind of hard to wrap the mind around, but she's a goddess so her true nature is hard to understand.

I still want to do a series where we see some of Ishtar in the heaven dimension. It would be a kind of fantasy genre story more than superheroic.

Keep reading!

I think I understand what your saying! She's not immortal, but her race is long living, she does ages and dies. Her race lives so much longer then human, with her magic she can reach across time and space to be present at this point in time. You did answer another question for me Ishtar is really just a human being! It explain why she's powerless without her magical garments, she seem much more limited when it come to using magic then Prospero! Prospero was casting spells left and right with no limits, he doesn't need magical garments to be able to cast spells! Ishtar doesn't seem to be able to casts spells or use magic without her garments. It seem to me the magical garments enchance all her human abilities to include her prana, I noticed that anybody can use her rod to enslave someone or free them from a spell, does she really generate more prana than any other human being or is it the magical garments enchancing her prana, just like the magical garments can do for any human?? I know she's aware she's a Goddess in another dimension, but i'm thinking she's really doesn't have any powers in this dimension, just her knowledge of magic and her magical garments from her dimension!!

Now i understand why Prospero was able to defeated her everytime they faced off, she's really isn't that much more experienced at using magic then he is!! She just had more knowledge of magic then he did at first, he showed thru out the whole saga he was a lot more skilled at using magic then Ishtar was even when he was a novice mage. Moving forward they may be on the same power level when it come to magical powers, but Prospero is a whole lot more skilled at using magic then Ishtar is!! I like your new characters, Crytowoman, will she be joining the legion?? Rhiannon, is she a sorceress on Ishtar level or is she more skilled, on Prospero level ?? We also learned that Brickhouse is stronger than Ishtar, by the comment she made in Victory City # 48, " that collar saps your strength enough that you can't over power me", so Brickhouse is the strongest!! The Lord Prospero saga did reveal a lot about Ishtar!! Oh I was wondering if we will see the Queen of the night again!! I like her, I liked her even more when i learned she was really a heroine uncover!! she's tough!!
jrhcl2

Postby Mr. Cryptic » October 16th, 2013, 2:20 am

Ishtar is immortal in our dimension, because her home dimension completely encompasses ours. It's kind of like dying in a video game. You wouldn't die in real life too.

You're correct that Ishtar doesn't exactly have thousands of years of experience. She has entered many dimensions as an avatar, like she has entered ours, but she doesn't necessarily transfer that when she enters another dimension. It's kind of like if you play one online game and your character gains new abilities. If you start playing a different online game those acquired abilities probably wouldn't transfer.

I'm not sure if Brickhouse is stronger than Ishtar. It was more a matter that Brickhouse's strength was diminished enough by the collar that Ishtar didn't have to worry about Brickhouse fighting back effectively.

Cryptowoman is intended to be an early superhero, before most or all of the Crypticverse heroes apppeared (I figure she first appeared around 20-25 years ago). We'll have to see if she's still around in the Victory Legion era.

The Queen of the Night will be back. She's kind of the "Batman" of the Crypticverse :) .

Rhiannon is not as powerful as Ishtar or Prospero, but few magic users are. That story probably should have been incorporated into the Prospero Saga while it was happening, but I hadn't thought of it yet! The will be one more update of the "Triskelion Spotlight", then that story will go back into Victory City. After that I'm going to try really hard to keep each of my storylines contained under a single title.
Mr. Cryptic

Previous

Return to Mr. Cryptic