Omega Unit Villians: FallenStar - Posts & Discussion

Discuss "Omega Unit" and other stories with Firstborn!

Omega Unit Villians: FallenStar - Posts & Discussion

Postby FirstBorn » January 8th, 2012, 12:14 pm

Hello everyone! I'm happy to say that after a few technical difficulties we have managed to get the first chapter of the FallenStar Origin story up and running! Better a tidbit late than never, eh?

The full story is available here: http://www.mccomix.com/members/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=34000 **Corrected Link! Sorry!

Synopsis:
It has been some time since the Omega Unit holiday party and DayStar has been avoiding Sharon a bit to let things calm down. She has conflicting emotions herself over the matter but her overdeveloped moral compass isn't really allowing her to spend much time on them. This problem isn't going away however, as she soon receives a message requesting aid from the very same friend. Rather odd though, this is the first time she has made contact in this manner... and to request a meeting so late at such an isolated location. Still- She had better go check it out. She has never failed a friend in need before and she's not about to start now...

What happens next? You'll have to check it out! And don't be scared to let me know what you think!

Preview of chapter two can be found here: http://www.mccomix.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=42964

I hope you enjoy the new material!
~
FirstBorn
FirstBorn

Re: Omega Unit Villians: FallenStar - Chapter 1 is up!

Postby sohta123 » January 8th, 2012, 8:35 pm

Awesome! Can't wait for the next episode!
Interesting story so far.

PS. Do you have a blog?
sohta123

Postby FirstBorn » January 9th, 2012, 2:13 pm

sohta123 wrote:Awesome! Can't wait for the next episode!
Interesting story so far.

PS. Do you have a blog?

Thanks for the positive review! As for the question of my blogging, I'm afraid I've never been much for that style of interaction. I do intend to use this message board though as I become a more involved member of the McComix community.

So, if you have a question for me regarding a storyline feel free to just drop me a message in here. I check back every day or so if RL doesn't get too much in the way. Plus, ask any artist about their art and you'll find they'll never end of things to discuss. ;)
~
FirstBorn
FirstBorn

Postby steverogers5 » January 12th, 2012, 2:02 pm

Just catching up with this now. Great look for Daystar. She looks very fetching indeed in this story. I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes! :)
steverogers5

Postby Hector2 » January 19th, 2012, 11:12 pm

Dear Firstborn:

This story begins in the middle of the adventure. I think “Sharon” was taken by the obviously evil villain with fangs, red eyes and blue skin guy that seems conspicuously as a vampire and that talks about the heroines as mere “mortals”, only to be converted into another vampire and set a trap for DayStar.

Page 3 seems to be full of cryptic clues, could it be that the purple rock is this universe’s version of Kriptonite? And why Daystar is so impressed by the Tiara? ( Incidentally, Superman is vulnerable to magic too).

The tiara seems to do it’s work, but the page that I loved most was page 5, when Sharon is carried on DayStar’s arms. It’s a touching scene when whe see that Sharon, still as a vampire, has feelings for DayStar. A lot of this site focus in sexual domination, but this is most about a way to achieve unrequited love.

What happened in pages 8 – 10? I am not really sure, but it seems like Vampire Sharon could not bite DayStar. And about page 8, I remember have read that when Dracula tried to bite superman, given that the man of steel draws his power for the SUN, Dracula exploded by drinking his blood.

And what about the place DayStar’s soul awakened? If I saw a guy like that, I would say that “hell” is a very poor choice of words. And now you have an homage to “Spawn”? The problem is, that guy was a mercenary and this gal is a true blue superheroine, she will not be turned to the Dark Side so easy, won’t she?

Awesome story, I can’t wait to see more!

Thanks

Hector.
Hector2

Postby FirstBorn » January 24th, 2012, 11:42 am

Hey Hector! Thanks for the comments- and sorry for the delay in response. Work has kept me surprisingly occupied these past few days.

Hector2 wrote:Dear Firstborn:

This story begins in the middle of the adventure. I think “Sharon” was taken by the obviously evil villain with fangs, red eyes and blue skin guy that seems conspicuously as a vampire and that talks about the heroines as mere “mortals”, only to be converted into another vampire and set a trap for DayStar.

Page 3 seems to be full of cryptic clues, could it be that the purple rock is this universe’s version of Kriptonite? And why Daystar is so impressed by the Tiara? ( Incidentally, Superman is vulnerable to magic too).

-- There may be some "unintentional" convergence of details between other super hero's whose sole ownership by their original creators is not disputed by me. As for the specific impact of the comments, yes- those were intended to give you some extra details about the way DayStar fits into the Omniverse that the Omega Unit storyline fits into. The "purple rock" mentioned there may come up again much later. I like to weave little details like that into the stories as I go. Keeps me on my toes as I write further down the line. And, as an added benefit it humanizes the heroines by not leaving them as amophous and potentially omni-potent beings.

Of course, this is also known by another phrase: writing yourself into a corner. In other words, once I define a weakness for a character I then limit what I can do with them in the future. But I'm okay with that. Encourages creativity, as I hate sloppy writing.

Hector2 wrote:The tiara seems to do it’s work, but the page that I loved most was page 5, when Sharon is carried on DayStar’s arms. It’s a touching scene when we see that Sharon, still as a vampire, has feelings for DayStar. A lot of this site focus in sexual domination, but this is most about a way to achieve unrequited love.

-- Thanks again! Now you see why I wanted to get the Xmas story out before the FallenStar arc. It certainly helps to inform the reactions you will see in this story.

Hector2 wrote:What happened in pages 8 – 10? I am not really sure, but it seems like Vampire Sharon could not bite DayStar. And about page 8, I remember have read that when Dracula tried to bite superman, given that the man of steel draws his power for the SUN, Dracula exploded by drinking his blood.

-- Right again. That was exactly what I was going for with the *TINK* and the comment. As you may have noticed I tend to have a different storytelling style than what other viewers @ McComix might be used to. I have a friend or two who constantly warn me that I can get too wordy (how long is this response already?) and so if I am *SHOWING* it, I try to not also *DESCRIBE* it in text. I save the narrative voice for details that I feel are not truly presentable by the picture itself.

While I have been storytelling in one form or another (Pen & Paper RPG, short stories, etc) I am a relative neophyte when it comes to this style. So that means that my use of the narrative voice may change over time or between stories as I use different arcs as experiments in my own style.

Hector2 wrote:
And what about the place DayStar’s soul awakened? If I saw a guy like that, I would say that “hell” is a very poor choice of words. And now you have an homage to “Spawn”? The problem is, that guy was a mercenary and this gal is a true blue superheroine, she will not be turned to the Dark Side so easy, won’t she?

Awesome story, I can’t wait to see more!

-- The allusion to "Spawn" was unintentional, but now that you mention it I can see the parallels. Interesting what other people see in your own work. And the specific comment may have been a poor choice of words on her part, yes- but I couldn't pass up the pun. It was somewhat out of character for such a "Girl-Scout" but it was intended to be a way of showing how off-center she was given the recent turn of events.

As for how easily she will turn to the dark side... I'm afraid you'll just have to wait and see!
~
FirstBorn
FirstBorn

Re: Omega Unit Villians: FallenStar - Posts & Discussion

Postby FirstBorn » February 5th, 2012, 9:02 am

Hello again everyone! I'm pleased to present Chapter 2 of the FallenStar storyline.

The full story is available here: http://www.mccomix.com/members/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=35510

Synopsis:
Her powers seemingly abandoning her, our heroine DayStar finds herself at the mercy of a demonic looking stranger. But all is not as it might seem- just as the powers of her physical body have left her, so have some of its other limitations. All she need do is drink and her salvation will be at hand. But what exactly is it she's being told to drink, and what nefarious plan does this captor have for our undauntable DayStar? Find out in this months installment of the Omega Unit: FallenStar saga!

And now that we know what happens next... what could possibly happen after that!?!

Enjoy! And feel free to comment!
~
FirstBorn
FirstBorn

Postby hypno85 » February 5th, 2012, 10:05 am

Next time can you make Balloon Words Size bigger?
hypno85

Postby kakyo001 » February 5th, 2012, 12:43 pm

hmm... there'll hardly anyone left to be in the Unit if they become evil themself before the Unit itself had its official debut

dunno how "permanent" the corruption is... claims by evil forces aren't always true...

(i hope for a redemption... :P )
kakyo001

Postby FirstBorn » February 5th, 2012, 3:31 pm

hypno85 wrote:Next time can you make Balloon Words Size bigger?

-- Hey Hypno, sorry to hear you're having a hard time reading them. Are you viewing the page full size? I had to decrease the overall size of the images a bit (I was a bit overzealous in my original rendering) but they still seem to display fine for me. I'll admit the original small version displayed on the site seems like REALLY tiny text- but that's because the image is *intended* to be 1600 pixels wide (not 640).

kakyo001 wrote:hmm... there'll hardly anyone left to be in the Unit if they become evil themself before the Unit itself had its official debut

dunno how "permanent" the corruption is... claims by evil forces aren't always true...

-- So far DayStar is the only founding member who has turned evil. Haywire has some naughty nannites in her system but she is otherwise still her pristine, if somewhat anti-social self.

But have no fear, there will be plenty of heroines in the O.U. by its full screen debut. Not all of them are going to get full fleshed origin story's though or it will be 10 years before I get to tell an "Avengers" style plot.

As for hopes for redemption, I'm playing that one close to the chest. What I can say is that even after her fall, DayStar still has a role to play in the meta-plot (and not just as a bad guy). Hopefully the following chapters will give enough foreshadowing to back that statement up. I'll have to wait and see how it goes over when their go live.

Thanks for the comments!
~
FirstBorn
FirstBorn

Postby kakyo001 » February 6th, 2012, 1:27 pm

FirstBorn wrote:
kakyo001 wrote:hmm... there'll hardly anyone left to be in the Unit if they become evil themself before the Unit itself had its official debut

-- So far DayStar is the only founding member who has turned evil. Haywire has some naughty nannites in her system but she is otherwise still her pristine, if somewhat anti-social self.

But have no fear, there will be plenty of heroines in the O.U. by its full screen debut. Not all of them are going to get full fleshed origin story's though or it will be 10 years before I get to tell an "Avengers" style plot.

As for hopes for redemption, I'm playing that one close to the chest. What I can say is that even after her fall, DayStar still has a role to play in the meta-plot (and not just as a bad guy). Hopefully the following chapters will give enough foreshadowing to back that statement up. I'll have to wait and see how it goes over when their go live.

Thanks for the comments!

my comment was by no means criticism... let me rewrite my thoughts in a better way (i hope... writing in a foreign language isn't easy especially if you're used to a harsh way of speaking)

my thoughts were that the O.U. had no story so far (taking down a evil dooer together as a team) and yet one of the founding members might have been taken down for good (time will tell)... that cought me off-guard :)

these characters are your creation and you can do with them whatever you want if I like it or not... and if the story turns into something i dislike i have to swallow my anger and deal with it... and being a reader of DC-Comics i got used to swallowing my anger over the last few months... (but on the other hand I got alot more money to spend now that i dropped half of the series I've used to read :P )
kakyo001

Postby FirstBorn » February 8th, 2012, 3:25 pm

kakyo001 wrote:my comment was by no means criticism...

-- No worries mate. Time will tell, and hopefully my comics will fare better than DC. /wink
~
FirstBorn
FirstBorn

Postby Adon » February 9th, 2012, 11:44 am

First time poster alert!

I have to say I was a little disappointed with this chapter. It's not that she was turned -- the title of the story pretty much spells it out -- it's that she put up little to no resistance at all. I would have thought someone who was as pure-hearted as her would have struggled fiercely, but she was corrupted so quickly that it was a case of blink and you miss it.

I will state here and now that I am definitely an odd duck by MCcomix standards. I like it when everyone, hero and villain, has to earn what they accomplish. For me, at least, my eyes tend to glaze over when the villains dominate the heroines without any sort of effort or indication that this is an extraordinary feat. It's one of my issues with the Superheroine Squad, for that matter -- we are told that they are well-respected heroines, but most of the time we see them lose, lose badly, and often with pitiful ease. To me, that doesn't really make the villains look strong, it just makes the heroines look weak and that their competence is an informed ability without anything to back it up.

Again, it isn't the losing in itself that bugs me, though I do prefer it when the heroines come back from disaster and win in the end, it's how often it's just an overwhelming easy win for the bad guys. Similarly, far too often when the heroines do prevail, it comes off as a fluke rather than any sign of real competence on their part. Especially when they never EVER seem to learn from their experiences and keep walking blind into traps.

So... yeah. That turned into a vent session that only marginally has something to do with the comic you did. Oops. And again I know I'm very atypical of the readers here... based on the feedback in general that I see most are perfectly happy with the way things are and see no desire to change anything. Buuuut... I just needed to say it.
Adon

Postby MacroLass » February 10th, 2012, 12:24 pm

Adon wrote:I like it when everyone, hero and villain, has to earn what they accomplish. For me, at least, my eyes tend to glaze over when the villains dominate the heroines without any sort of effort or indication that this is an extraordinary feat. It's one of my issues with the Superheroine Squad, for that matter -- we are told that they are well-respected heroines, but most of the time we see them lose, lose badly, and often with pitiful ease. To me, that doesn't really make the villains look strong, it just makes the heroines look weak and that their competence is an informed ability without anything to back it up.

Well there's a couple of things that need to be factored into that.

First off, unlike a prose story you only have a limited number of pages or panels in which to tell your tale. While you might want to give a character a scene where she shouts her defiance even as her mind crumbles, you don't have the space for that luxury.

Another reason can be that you're coming in on the middle of a story and that you just have to take some things for granted...or you're at the beginning and you want to establish the villain's bonafides.

Or it could even be that the author doesn't WANT that particular person to resist, either as fetish fuel or just because he doesn't think she's important.

The point is that "The play's the thing" (to quote Shakespeare) . All of the characters and settings are merely props or tools that are used to get the author's point across. S/he hopes that it will resonate with the audience but until it's put out, you just have to rely on your own compass to guide your tale.

Now all of that being said....

I actually AGREE with your point. There should be some kind of effort exerted and/or resistance to overcome when controlling someone to make it a more worthwhile achievement. But often the sad truth is that that is a luxury you just can't afford within the confines of a comic.
MacroLass

Postby Tecknophyle » February 10th, 2012, 12:57 pm

MacroLass wrote:I actually AGREE with your point. There should be some kind of effort exerted and/or resistance to overcome when controlling someone to make it a more worthwhile achievement. But often the sad truth is that that is a luxury you just can't afford within the confines of a comic.

There are ways, and then there are ways.

Consider my bitching about the same problem with the heroines a ways back (not the resistance to mind control bit, but the lack of them doing anything heroic). SInce then, it appears to have been mildly addressed by some writers/artists. While the character in the story might not be doing anything particularly heroic, you've got small, off-hand references to other characters doing things, or to the actual character just coming back from doing something. Halloween Havoc 3 shows the end result of a fight, so you have three heroines obviously doing something other than being victims, even if you don't see all of it. There's references to other characters being off to do things, or reports of them doing things that are just background events, often not even seen, but they lend to the verisimilitude that these characters do something other than wait around passively for the next time someone zaps them.

Similarly, even a few lines of dialogue, or even an extra panel, can do a lot. There's a scene in an X-Men comic from the early 1990s where the Shadow King is discussing his plot with the government agent he has firmly under control. There's a single panel where it shows a tear running down the agent's (otherwise expressionless) face and one of his other thralls brushes it away, commenting that she shouldn't be too distressed because it wasn't all bad being a slave.

That's all that was needed, and from that panel one could extrapolate the mental image of the agent screaming and struggling in her own mind to get out, to be free, and not simply going down without a fight, even though there was no other explicit statement through that scene that any such thing was occurring.
Tecknophyle

Next

Return to Firstborn