Omega Unit: Origins - Haywire Chapter 6 was assimilated.

Discuss "Omega Unit" and other stories with Firstborn!

Omega Unit: Origins - Haywire Chapter 6 was assimilated.

Postby FirstBorn » November 3rd, 2011, 10:22 pm

Chapter 6 of the Haywire origin story has been fully assimilated and integrated into the mccomix collective consciousness.

Synopsis:
When last we left our brave Head of Security she had just had her suicidal plans to protect the galaxy thoroughly thwarted. But what fun is it to finally capture your last remaining threat to galactic domination if you can't take the time to play with her a bit first. What plans does our Queen have for the lovely Evelyn? Will she be another human form, corrupted into service of the Queen- or perhaps just another mindless drone adding her own uniqueness to the collective in the Queen's service. Find out in the 2nd to last episode of Omega Unit Origins: Haywire!

The beginning of the end- begins here: http://www.mccomix.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=40029

And for a taste of what is yet to come, the preview for the final epilogue of the Haywire story is posted in the preview section for your viewing pleasure.

http://www.mccomix.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=40107

I'd like to give a special thanks to those of you who have voiced your support and shared your opinions of this story as it has progressed here. I am working on new material and some of the discussions I've had have been very stimulating towards that end. ;)

Enjoy!
~
FirstBorn
FirstBorn

Re: Omega Unit: Origins - Haywire Chapter 6 was assimilated.

Postby kakyo001 » November 4th, 2011, 12:13 pm

like a drug addict put on a drug withdrawl... begging for more no matter the cost... she never had a chance :(
kakyo001

Postby FirstBorn » November 6th, 2011, 3:20 pm

kakyo001 wrote:like a drug addict put on a drug withdrawal... begging for more no matter the cost... she never had a chance :(

Actually, that's a very apt analogy for exactly what she went through. The most amazing high you could ever experience followed by an equally nannite induced withdrawal as the stimulation was withdrawn. The idea that any mind would have the strength to live through that and *NOT* cave into any demand to get it back is hard to believe.

Its a good thing its only fiction... right?

If you're interested in playing around with that theme then you'll be happy to hear that I'm working on the "Sequel" to the haywire origin story. This one will be called "Queen's Reign" and will leave Haywire behind in the Omega Unit Universe and follow the characters in from the nannites home universe instead. We get to see what the Queen will do next after she sets her sights on galactic purification (domination).

Of course, this won't be the FIRST new release from me... but it is on its way and currently under development. So I hope patience is a virtue with which you are greatly blessed. ;)
~
FirstBorn
FirstBorn

Postby kakyo001 » November 7th, 2011, 6:18 am

FirstBorn wrote:Its a good thing its only fiction... right?

sadly, similiar tactics are used in real life and not only fiction... even though nanites aren't a part of it (yet) ^^;

FirstBorn wrote:If you're interested in playing around with that theme then you'll be happy to hear that I'm working on the "Sequel" to the haywire origin story. This one will be called "Queen's Reign" and will leave Haywire behind in the Omega Unit Universe and follow the characters in from the nannites home universe instead. We get to see what the Queen will do next after she sets her sights on galactic purification (domination).

I'm usually a bit schizophrenic if it comes to permanent mind control (and I think that's what the Queen does). I have no problems to use it in my own stories but I get angry if someone else does the same... (and that's as unfair as it can get towards other writers... I'm "working" on it but changing my own personality didn't worked so far :P )

I think I've found out 'why' I'm unable to fully enjoy those stories... to me permanant mind control equals death... and 'killing' characters destroys possible future stories of that said character... I'm able to convince myself that I'm writing in a "alternative universe" and thus be able to use the characters multiple times but so far I'm unable to acknowledge the same idea for other writers...

uhm... that got longer than expected... even though, I'm eager to read the new stories you're going to create even if I don't like what happens to some of the characters :)
kakyo001

Postby FirstBorn » November 7th, 2011, 2:01 pm

kakyo001 wrote:I'm usually a bit schizophrenic if it comes to permanent mind control (and I think that's what the Queen does). I have no problems to use it in my own stories but I get angry if someone else does the same... (and that's as unfair as it can get towards other writers... I'm "working" on it but changing my own personality didn't worked so far :P )

I think I've found out 'why' I'm unable to fully enjoy those stories... to me permanant mind control equals death... and 'killing' characters destroys possible future stories of that said character... I'm able to convince myself that I'm writing in a "alternative universe" and thus be able to use the characters multiple times but so far I'm unable to acknowledge the same idea for other writers...

uhm... that got longer than expected... even though, I'm eager to read the new stories you're going to create even if I don't like what happens to some of the characters :)

-- I can understand that- both the desire and the double standard. Part of being human is we don't always make sense, especially outside of our own heads.

On the subject of permanent mind control equaling death of the characters I can see that side of the story- but I obviously lean in the opposite direction. I dislike temporary MC themes more than (well done) permanent ones just because the temporary nature of the MC cheapens it for me. It's tantamount to mental rape in the extreme case and still an extreme violation of self at its best. Given that we're not really dealing with shades of grey but squarely in the "black", if you will, then I'd rather not use the excuse that its "temporary" to justify it.

That being said, I *totally* understand what you mean about it being sorta like killing off a character as (s)he won't be available in the same fashion for future stories. BUT- that is only really a "loss" if the MC is of the kind that actually does remove the character from the storyline. For instance, the MC at the end of "Club Pump" is an excellent example of a permanent MC that is totally back-story that does not remove them from future stories. Now, the Grey-bot theme, or even perhaps what Belinda is doing to the "Guards" at the Fun-House is a bit more extreme- as is what happens to the characters in the Queen's Universe. The way I get around that is by not investing overly much into individual characters so the loss of them is not felt to keenly. Of course this leads to a different issue- few of the transformations carry much weight as there is no real sense of "loss" at their assimilation.

If I had my own villain in the Metrobay Universe I would most certainly make it something akin to Trishbot's Hypnotica, although without the pesky conscious messing things up. Especially if the nature of the MC included amnesia of the event. I'd be making "special delivery's" to the heroines all the time for short trips involving their "help" with certain issues, physical or otherwise.

Of course, I say that fully knowing that most of the stories I intend to write involve some aspect of MC with far-reaching implications. Villeins have to come from somewhere too, right? My intention is to interweave elements of temporary MC with a few things that tend to stick a lot more. Sorta like what happened to the Silver Satin after the events in the Platinum Universe. She got a taste of what being truly "free" to use her own nanites w/o the pain of deciding right/wrong and I think she liked it a bit more than she is willing to admit to herself. I love that there was some fallout from that storyline and I hope that it ends up addressed again in a future story instead of just being lost beneath the rug of "that was all in a prior episode" as so often happens of attempted character development in comics of most varieties.

All of this, of course, only pertains to the Omega Unit Universe- not the Queen's. She is outright ruler of that alternate universe, all she has to do is seize the reigns.
~
FirstBorn
FirstBorn

Postby sohta123 » November 7th, 2011, 8:49 pm

Firstborn I couldn't hardly agree more with your comments. I'm much more 'fascinated' by permanent mind control and even more so by the corruption of the lovely innocent. And personally I prefer technology vs magic as the vehicle of their conversion.
But all in all having a mix of types of control etc makes it more interesting.
And maybe unlike other storytellers who have certain heroic characters they protect from permanent control, your stories are about the villains who never ultimately lose.

Keep it up! Enjoyed the work so far. Love what you did with the ships doctor too btw.
sohta123

Postby FirstBorn » November 7th, 2011, 9:46 pm

sohta123 wrote:Firstborn I couldn't hardly agree more with your comments. I'm much more 'fascinated' by permanent mind control and even more so by the corruption of the lovely innocent. And personally I prefer technology vs magic as the vehicle of their conversion.
But all in all having a mix of types of control etc makes it more interesting.
And maybe unlike other storytellers who have certain heroic characters they protect from permanent control, your stories are about the villains who never ultimately lose.

Keep it up! Enjoyed the work so far. Love what you did with the ships doctor too btw.

-- Why thanks, Sohta! I think out of all the characters from the Haywire story I enjoyed the Doctor the most... almost like my version of Harly Quinn.

-- And yes, *some* of my stories are about villains who never, or rarely, lose. But for me, even when they do, they should still have some lasting impact on the heroines that defeat them. Taking down bad guys of the type these stories are known for *should* leave some scars behind. And not everyone heals from those scars in a healthy way... sometimes they just lay beneath the surface and fester until the greater demons of our nature break free. Granted, a truly *good* heroine would rarely fall to such demons and would likely lament her loss afterwards and seek ways to find absolution- but the story of getting there would be well worth the read.

-- I'm not saying that everything I do will be 100% permanent. But every story I tell *will* change at least one character involved in a BIG way.

-- Of course, this is all big talk for an artist who doesn't even have an entire story posted to McComix yet... but at least I am high, eh?
~
FirstBorn
FirstBorn

Postby Mr. Cryptic » November 15th, 2011, 2:03 pm

I've really enjoyed reading your series here, Firstborn! It's always interesting to see how artists take old and familiar themes, and then put their own spin on them.

I also like your theme of how the master provides a unique kind of pleasure that the slave will do anything to get, and this is the basis of the master's control.

When my characters experienced this kind of treatment (Victory City #14-16), then were freed from it, they didn't show a lot of after effects from it. I did get some criticism for this (the first time I posted the comics at HIP Comix). My thinking was that it was like being in love, then not being in love anymore. The heroines reactions were more like, "What the heck was I thinking!?" I had thought about the possiblity of them suffering withdrawal symptoms, but instead went with the idea that they just felt confusion, not withdrawal. This was in large part just to make it easier for me to move on with the plot. It would have been kind of hard to effectively follow up on six different heroines suffering mind control withdrawal symptoms. I think it would be an interesting theme to explore more with a single heroine.

Your comments on permanent or mostly permanent mind control are interesting and given me a lot to think about. I'm thinking of ideas for character's that are subjects of some kind of ongoing mind control (e.g.. like a villainess that has been conditioned to fight crime, etc.).

Don't worry about "big talk." It's good for an artist to have big ambitions. It's really amazing the things we can do with modern technology and digital art. You are obviously very creative and I believe you'll find a way to realize what you are envisioning!
Mr. Cryptic

Postby FirstBorn » November 18th, 2011, 12:37 pm

Mr. Cryptic wrote:I've really enjoyed reading your series here, Firstborn! It's always interesting to see how artists take old and familiar themes, and then put their own spin on them.

I also like your theme of how the master provides a unique kind of pleasure that the slave will do anything to get, and this is the basis of the master's control.

-- Thanks for the words of encouragement, Cryptic. I have enjoyed your stories as well, including when I first saw them over on Hip. I was, as you might suspect, particularly fond of the rather long term control of the heroine in your first series. I thought the way you wrapped it up for her (dual nature of the goddess spending "eternity" in the afterlife with her Master but still continuing on free of his control in the present). Although I would say, and you mentioned it in your response, that she did seem to get over him rather quickly. But, as you said, who wants to see a story of a Heroine sitting around depressed over a lost love. Unless it drives them to rather naughty acts in fits of frustration, of course.

Mr. Cryptic wrote: I think it would be an interesting theme to explore more with a single heroine.

-- You may note as we move through my stories that I will have that "theme" in a lot of my work: focusing on one character or viewpoint for a series. Its all building up to what would amount to my version of the "Avengers" movie combining all the single stories into one major arc but that is a long time coming since I don't have a 6 man team working on my Universe. Color me jealous on that one.

Mr. Cryptic wrote:Your comments on permanent or mostly permanent mind control are interesting and given me a lot to think about. I'm thinking of ideas for character's that are subjects of some kind of ongoing mind control (e.g.. like a villainess that has been conditioned to fight crime, etc.).

-- That would be an interesting spin, yes. Especially if said Villainess has been given just enough room to "interpret" her control to make her move of an anti-hero rather than a true shining star of goodie-ness.

Mr. Cryptic wrote:Don't worry about "big talk." It's good for an artist to have big ambitions. It's really amazing the things we can do with modern technology and digital art. You are obviously very creative and I believe you'll find a way to realize what you are envisioning!

Thank you again for the kind words. Its half of what keeps artists such as we going. Especially when there are so many things coming out to distract us right now (Skyrim, etc)... ./Must-Resist
~
FirstBorn
FirstBorn

Return to Firstborn