Freedom girl in Simple shorts: The Trap

Discuss "American Amazon" and other stories with Dumbtime!

Re: Freedom girl in Simple shorts: The Trap

Postby dumbtime » December 10th, 2011, 1:38 pm

Tony wrote:
dumbtime wrote:You read the editor's note wrong. :)

The note seems clear. Either this story happens before "Ensnared", or this story is before part of "Ensnared" rather than the whole story which means it is running concurrently with that story. Either way, I was looking for clarification which your answer does not give. Your answer would have been clearer if you had stated "I will not answer that" rather than telling me I misread the note.

I also tried to get clarification on the timing of the other stories that seems to be directly related. Your answer didn't touch that at all.

I guess I was looking for too much. Thanks anyway....

Sorry, dear sir, if I managed to tick you off somehow with my response. I didn't have intentions to provoke you in any way as we haven't had much interaction in forum discussions before and I hope not to do so in the future.

I thought the note was pretty clear in what it says therefore, I perceived that you misread it. It definitely says 'before' and not 'concurrent.' This is an AA Universe story and not a Metrobay story so it wouldn't adhere strictly to the Metrobay chronology. It does tie into the 'Ensnared' and 'Brainwashed' storylines, which are a part of the Metrobay chronology, and needed to be mentioned to keep readers in tune.

If there is an issue here, please PM me so we can discuss this in a private matter.
dumbtime

Postby Tony » December 10th, 2011, 2:31 pm

I'm not upset. When I wrote the original question, I thought I wrote a rhetorical question about Ensnared being after The Trap. It came out the other way around, probably when I edited the sentence. Since I didn't reread my own comment quoted by you, I restated what I thought I originally wrote and since you seemed to disagree with it, I put another possibility based on what you wrote. Of course, I stated the opposite of what I originally wrote so what I said later seems rough. Sorry about that. So really I wrote the question wrong though I read the editor's note correctly. :oops: :oops:

I was trying to see if The Trap and Ensnared belong as far back in the timeline as they are now. Ensnared being between 2 to 3 years before the other two. (Carefully counting Halloweens between the Ensnared and the other two.) After all, Ensnared was placed arbitrarily and when The Trap is added, it could be just before Ensnared or as far back as Femina Machinae.

Without giving anything away, do you think of the first two as happening years before the other two? Or do you think they should be closer together? Or hadn't you thought about it?

A yes to the first one might leave the timeline pretty much as is. Or perhaps The Trap and Ensnared should be closer to Femina Machinae.

A yes to the second one means either the first two need to be placed later or the second two need to be placed earlier.

A yes to the third one means we'll find out, maybe, sometime in the future when more stories come out.

Sorry about the confusion. And Thanks Trishbot for trying to help! :mrgreen:
Tony

Postby MacroLass » December 10th, 2011, 4:00 pm

Trishbot wrote:He was right. No need to get bent out of shape. The editor's note clearly says "this story takes place BEFORE "Ensnared"."

The chronology should go something like this: "The Trap">"Ensnared">"To Love & Obey".

Similarly, "For the Benefit of Society" takes place after "Ensnared" (and thus after "The Trap") but BEFORE "To Love & Obey".

Hope that helps.

Yes it does, thank you Trishbot.

To be honest, I put that in there just so people wouldn't get confused about Freedom Girl being Paula REVERE instead of Paula Mitchell, the name she was forced to take after she'd been brainwashed into marriage after her capture in "Ensnared". I wasn't thinking about how that statement might muddle things as far as the rest of the Freedom Duo's chronology.

Basically Trapped will be setting up a particular state of mind for Freedom Girl which explains her actions before she was "Ensnared".

Please let me know if I can clarify anything else for you.
MacroLass

Postby dumbtime » December 10th, 2011, 5:28 pm

Tony wrote:
I was trying to see if The Trap and Ensnared belong as far back in the timeline as they are now. Ensnared being between 2 to 3 years before the other two. (Carefully counting Halloweens between the Ensnared and the other two.) After all, Ensnared was placed arbitrarily and when The Trap is added, it could be just before Ensnared or as far back as Femina Machinae.

Without giving anything away, do you think of the first two as happening years before the other two? Or do you think they should be closer together? Or hadn't you thought about it?

A yes to the first one might leave the timeline pretty much as is. Or perhaps The Trap and Ensnared should be closer to Femina Machinae.

A yes to the second one means either the first two need to be placed later or the second two need to be placed earlier.

A yes to the third one means we'll find out, maybe, sometime in the future when more stories come out.

Sorry about the confusion. And Thanks Trishbot for trying to help! :mrgreen:

To help out and not give anything away, because that will steal away from the pleasure of writing and reading future updates, anything done with the Freedom Duo happens before Ensnared. Ensnared happens about 6 months to a year after the conversation in Origins: What makes a Hero, after the Duo splits and FG heads to Metrobay to join Grrl Power.

Read the bio's for both FB/AA http://metrobay.wetpaint.com/page/American+Amazon and FG http://metrobay.wetpaint.com/page/Freedom+Girl to get a better feel of what has happen.

I know this will help get Ensnared out of arbitrary and into a more fitted slot in the timeline but it still isn't enough just yet to do so. Anything we produce in the AA Universe without Metrobay characters is loosely tied to the Metrobay chronology.

Don't worry and fret not, I have help now and can produce more at a better rate so the story will begin to fill the gaps.

MacroLass's editor note was to do what she said; to put this story, for the reader's benfit, before the Duo split.

I hope that clears it up for you. I can't divulge any more info.

P.S. Along came a spider should have had a Freedom Duo stamp on it but, I did that before I created the stamp and it was a partial request as well with no superheroines. It, also, introduced a very important character.

Here's a quickie timeline order to help as well - Along came a spider > Alien Invasion > The Trap > Origins* > The Alleyway > FB:A Slave to a Nation > Ensnared > SS-TT2 >Tasty Treats > For the Benefit of Society > Brainwashed > To Love and Obey

Origins* - its a reflection story - the moment in time is the cnversation.
dumbtime

Postby Tony » December 10th, 2011, 5:59 pm

dumbtime wrote:
P.S. Along came a spider should have had a Freedom Duo stamp on it but, I did that before I created the stamp and it was a partial request as well with no superheroines. It, also, introduced a very important character.

Here's a quickie timeline order to help as well - Along came a spider > Alien Invasion > The Trap > Origins* > The Alleyway > FB:A Slave to a Nation > Ensnared > SS-TT2 >Tasty Treats > For the Benefit of Society > Brainwashed > To Love and Obey

Origins* - its a reflection story - the moment in time is the cnversation.

That helps more than you know. It also places a few more stories relative to each other that hadn't been placed yet.

Thanks a lot.
Tony

Postby Hector2 » December 27th, 2011, 12:56 am

Hi Dumbtime and Macrolass!

The thing I liked about the trap is that Freedom Girl was trapped, but Paula Revere still wanted to salvage her dream project. I think that if this “trap” were not his project, she could have reacted in a more professional manner and escape easily (or at least not to be trapped so easily) but the mere possibility of a way to regain control of her life as Paula Revere was too alluring to renounce.
For example, Freedom Girl left arm was captured for only one of the tentacles. Instead of using her right arm to free herself, she desperately punches the keyboard trying to access her own programs. That only could lead to despair. In this sense, Paula has a lot in common with the heroine of Femina Machinae!

For an abusive villain, Digitalus is a genius: why not do mundane chores arousing? An evil genius!
I loved the design of the mechanical orb, as page 14 remind me of Luke Skywalker and the Emperor and his electric torture. But maybe the best part is that Digitalus is monitoring all this from his computer, sure that Freedom Girl is securely trapped.

I am anxious to see the next issue.

Hector.
Hector2

Postby bluemax2 » December 30th, 2011, 10:38 am

Dumbtime:
Love your work. When can we see a thoroughly controlled Freedom Girl being used and taken advantage of? Being a slave to the good doctor and others?

regards,

bluemax
bluemax2

Postby steverogers5 » January 12th, 2012, 1:23 pm

Man,it's great to a see a proper Hypno trap being sprung again! Feels like it's been too long since I saw one of these type of perils. So Thanks very much for this one. Can't wait to see more of the Freedom Duo misdaventures! :)
steverogers5

Postby dumbtime » January 12th, 2012, 7:39 pm

steverogers5 wrote:Man,it's great to a see a proper Hypno trap being sprung again! Feels like it's been too long since I saw one of these type of perils. So Thanks very much for this one. Can't wait to see more of the Freedom Duo misdaventures! :)

I think you're really going to love what's coming then. :twisted:
dumbtime

Postby dumbtime » January 12th, 2012, 7:43 pm

bluemax2 wrote:Dumbtime:
Love your work. When can we see a thoroughly controlled Freedom Girl being used and taken advantage of? Being a slave to the good doctor and others?

regards,

bluemax

The Trap updates rotate every other month until I can speed up to 2 updates a month. Without giving up too much, there is a very unique twist coming. Even with me cluing you in, I don't think you'll see it coming until it happens. And, from what you guys are asking for, I think you will be very intrigued by it.
dumbtime

Postby dumbtime » January 12th, 2012, 7:49 pm

Hector2 wrote:Hi Dumbtime and Macrolass!

The thing I liked about the trap is that Freedom Girl was trapped, but Paula Revere still wanted to salvage her dream project. I think that if this “trap” were not his project, she could have reacted in a more professional manner and escape easily (or at least not to be trapped so easily) but the mere possibility of a way to regain control of her life as Paula Revere was too alluring to renounce.
For example, Freedom Girl left arm was captured for only one of the tentacles. Instead of using her right arm to free herself, she desperately punches the keyboard trying to access her own programs. That only could lead to despair. In this sense, Paula has a lot in common with the heroine of Femina Machinae!

For an abusive villain, Digitalus is a genius: why not do mundane chores arousing? An evil genius!
I loved the design of the mechanical orb, as page 14 remind me of Luke Skywalker and the Emperor and his electric torture. But maybe the best part is that Digitalus is monitoring all this from his computer, sure that Freedom Girl is securely trapped.

I am anxious to see the next issue.

Hector.

I'm glad you're enjoying the series so far. :)

I do have to say from all the comments you have blessed us with about this storyline, I see that you have a very keen observation about the workings of the trap. You are right to assume that it wasn't a trap for Freedom Girl but, nevertheless, she is caught in it. Keep that keen observation going, You will soon be pleasantly 'surprised.' :twisted:
dumbtime

Postby Tecknophyle » January 13th, 2012, 3:05 am

dumbtime wrote:

I've added those stories into the chronology, but you have a problem (that I noted): the "American Amazon" name wasn't used until after Superheroine Squad, since she's referred to as, and wears the costume of, Freedom Broad in that story, with Tasty Treats having a remark indicating she changed the name just prior, yet in The Alleyway she's referred to as, and wearing the costume of, American Amazon.

There's no wy of finessing that out. It has to be a costume/name error in The Alleyway.
Tecknophyle

Postby dumbtime » January 13th, 2012, 11:01 pm

The Alleyway is flexible. I pretty much did that list off of memory. It can be moved to make things work. Most likely after Tasty Treats
dumbtime

Postby Tecknophyle » January 14th, 2012, 4:22 pm

dumbtime wrote:The Alleyway is flexible. I pretty much did that list off of memory. It can be moved to make things work. Most likely after Tasty Treats

Problem is she says it happened just after, or not long after, Freedom Girl went to Metrobay, which was a fair bit of time prior to the name change. I will change the entry, however.
Tecknophyle

Postby hypno85 » February 16th, 2012, 8:58 am

So where is trap 3?
hypno85

PreviousNext

Return to Dumbtime