Freedom girl in Simple shorts: The Trap

Discuss "American Amazon" and other stories with Dumbtime!

Freedom girl in Simple shorts: The Trap

Postby dumbtime » October 12th, 2011, 2:00 am

Hey all,

Sorry about this but, I'll have the update up this evening. I have about 22 pages with dialogue only on 10. I had a family semi emergency yesterday that kept me from finishing. Should have no problem gettng it done today though. Sorry for the slight inconvenience.

DT.
dumbtime

Re: Freedom girl in Simple shorts: The Trap

Postby Hector2 » October 12th, 2011, 6:26 pm

Hi Dumbtime!

Don't worry, i am expecting it eagerly but not worry, just do your best!

Thanks

Hector2
Hector2

Postby dumbtime » October 12th, 2011, 10:34 pm

Hey all,

No synopsis with this story. its just a quickie to feature Freedom Girl, give some backstory and fill in any gaps for the next few series with AA.

With that, here it is.

http://www.mccomix.com/members/gallery2 ... emId=15613

thanks,

DT
dumbtime

Postby steverogers5 » October 13th, 2011, 12:52 am

Hah! What a place to leave us dangling at! :mrgreen: Excellent work! I've been wanting to see more Freedom Girl/American Amazon for a while now, and this trap looks all too enticing! Can't wait to see where it's heading! :)
steverogers5

Postby dumbtime » October 13th, 2011, 3:55 pm

For anyone not familiar to the characters, the story or the AA universe, here are a few background links to help.

http://metrobay.wetpaint.com/page/American+Amazon
http://metrobay.wetpaint.com/page/Freedom+Girl
http://metrobay.wetpaint.com/page/Digitalus

and, of course, where it all started - http://www.mccomix.com/gallery2/main.ph ... emId=17391
dumbtime

Postby Hector2 » October 13th, 2011, 8:48 pm

Dear Dumbtime:

I must confess I have a fetish for the act of trapping the heroines. I think that in recent comics on this site, the villains defeat the heroines very easily and almost didn’t give a thought how to do it. But I always have wanted to see the process how a villain not only catches, but imprisons a heroine. So when I saw the cover and the title of “The trap”, I was truly happy. And even better, you were using a heroine I love, an exported character from Wonder Girl. I knew this must to be great.

And then I saw the thumbnails of Freedom Girl walking into the cube and thought: “What, is this for real?”

No really, when I see Freedom Girl walking into a giant cube with an enormous circular door I was reminded of those old cartoons where a simple box was suspended with only a stick so they can trap any animal dumb enough to fall for it. (But to be honest, this trap worked in cartoons more often than not). So when I saw this image I immediately thought: “Dumbtime must think that Freedom Girl is very intellectually challenged to fall for this.”

Now I know better.

It’s just after reading the story that I realized that Freedom Girl had really good reasons to walk into the cube. Maybe the point is that only Freedom Girl and none other heroine could have walked into the cube. The fact that Freedom Girl and Paula Revere are one and the same is her downfall. I realize you recognize that Freedom Girl is a novice superheroine who really needs to focus on the case, but if you were so blatantly stolen of your work, would not you run into the evidence without a second thought?

Only two things: Why Paula designed such a device as a cube? I understand a cell if you were working with radiation or something (remember Watchmen?) but for this case I don’t see the utility, except to protect the user of being contaminated by the process… (But how?). And if the device is so exact a copy of the planes to the grade to have Paula initials in it’s design… why did Paula install two tweezers into her device?

Well, this work is showing great promise! How much time do you think will take to get the second issue? I’ll be waiting anxiously!

Hector2.
Hector2

Postby dumbtime » October 14th, 2011, 2:41 am

Hector2 wrote:Dear Dumbtime:

I must confess I have a fetish for the act of trapping the heroines. I think that in recent comics on this site, the villains defeat the heroines very easily and almost didn’t give a thought how to do it. But I always have wanted to see the process how a villain not only catches, but imprisons a heroine. So when I saw the cover and the title of “The trap”, I was truly happy. And even better, you were using a heroine I love, an exported character from Wonder Girl. I knew this must to be great.

And then I saw the thumbnails of Freedom Girl walking into the cube and thought: “What, is this for real?”

No really, when I see Freedom Girl walking into a giant cube with an enormous circular door I was reminded of those old cartoons where a simple box was suspended with only a stick so they can trap any animal dumb enough to fall for it. (But to be honest, this trap worked in cartoons more often than not). So when I saw this image I immediately thought: “Dumbtime must think that Freedom Girl is very intellectually challenged to fall for this.”

Now I know better.

It’s just after reading the story that I realized that Freedom Girl had really good reasons to walk into the cube. Maybe the point is that only Freedom Girl and none other heroine could have walked into the cube. The fact that Freedom Girl and Paula Revere are one and the same is her downfall. I realize you recognize that Freedom Girl is a novice superheroine who really needs to focus on the case, but if you were so blatantly stolen of your work, would not you run into the evidence without a second thought?

Only two things: Why Paula designed such a device as a cube? I understand a cell if you were working with radiation or something (remember Watchmen?) but for this case I don’t see the utility, except to protect the user of being contaminated by the process… (But how?). And if the device is so exact a copy of the planes to the grade to have Paula initials in it’s design… why did Paula install two tweezers into her device?

Well, this work is showing great promise! How much time do you think will take to get the second issue? I’ll be waiting anxiously!

Hector2.

Without giving away too much, Keep the cleverly designed ruse in mind. Paula's old project was abandoned but she was specifically targeted by Digitalus and others for another. Borrowing stuff from an old plan to work in another is common practice, especially if the premise for the new one is the same as the old one. The only difference is the attended target(s) and the purpose of the application. The tweezer arms were not part of her design.

Paula designed the cube for security purpose for accessing the data bank. It also makes for a perfect 'stick and box' trap. :D Hope that helps with your questions.
dumbtime

Postby dumbtime » October 15th, 2011, 12:04 pm

Hector2 wrote:Dear Dumbtime:

Hector2.

This will run in my regular monthly slot. The second update in the month will fall on available days and will rotate between 'Alien Invasion' and 'Brainwashed.' I hope that helps.
dumbtime

Postby Hector2 » November 12th, 2011, 10:01 pm

Hi Dumbtime!

Only to comment: I loved next issue's cover, the trap had sprung! The heroine is doomed!

Thank you!

Hector
Hector2

Postby dumbtime » December 10th, 2011, 5:37 am

Hello McComix fan,

Here's the new on time update for this month.

http://www.mccomix.com/gallery2/main.ph ... emId=40524

Story and artwork by DumbTime with scripting and production assistance by MacroLass.

(Yes. We typed it and you read it - it says MacroLass. Prepare to be entertained. 8-) )

Synopsis:
Scientist Paula Revere aka Freedom Girl, investigating a possible hacker at the mainframe computer of the university, has found instead a strange machine, the one she'd designed for the military.
The plans had been stolen but now it's real and there in front of her, big as life! Obviously this is a mystery she needs to investigate but will she get answers or just fall prey to some other genius' mad plot?

Find out in Freedom Duo: The Trap - Part 2 at http://www.mccomix.com/members/gallery2 ... emId=30370

Enjoy

DT & ML
dumbtime

Postby MacroLass » December 10th, 2011, 6:05 am

dumbtime wrote:Here's the new on time update for this month.

<faints>

dumbtime wrote:Prepare to be entertained.

<looks for other signs of the appending Apocalypse....> ;)
MacroLass

Postby Tony » December 10th, 2011, 10:07 am

So this is taking place after "Ensnared" occurs?

So does that mean "Ensnared" is way too early or is "For the Benefit of Society" and "Brainwashed" ok where they are and "Ensnared" and "The Trap" have nothing to do with them?

(Just trying to help with the chronology....)
Tony

Postby dumbtime » December 10th, 2011, 11:08 am

Tony wrote:So this is taking place after "Ensnared" occurs?

So does that mean "Ensnared" is way too early or is "For the Benefit of Society" and "Brainwashed" ok where they are and "Ensnared" and "The Trap" have nothing to do with them?

(Just trying to help with the chronology....)

You read the editor's note wrong. :)
dumbtime

Postby Tony » December 10th, 2011, 11:38 am

dumbtime wrote:You read the editor's note wrong. :)

The note seems clear. Either this story happens before "Ensnared", or this story is before part of "Ensnared" rather than the whole story which means it is running concurrently with that story. Either way, I was looking for clarification which your answer does not give. Your answer would have been clearer if you had stated "I will not answer that" rather than telling me I misread the note.

I also tried to get clarification on the timing of the other stories that seems to be directly related. Your answer didn't touch that at all.

I guess I was looking for too much. Thanks anyway....
Tony

Postby Trishbot » December 10th, 2011, 1:33 pm

Tony wrote:
dumbtime wrote:You read the editor's note wrong. :)

The note seems clear. Either this story happens before "Ensnared", or this story is before part of "Ensnared" rather than the whole story which means it is running concurrently with that story. Either way, I was looking for clarification which your answer does not give. Your answer would have been clearer if you had stated "I will not answer that" rather than telling me I misread the note.

I also tried to get clarification on the timing of the other stories that seems to be directly related. Your answer didn't touch that at all.

I guess I was looking for too much. Thanks anyway....

He was right. No need to get bent out of shape. The editor's note clearly says "this story takes place BEFORE "Ensnared"."

The chronology should go something like this: "The Trap">"Ensnared">"To Love & Obey".

Similarly, "For the Benefit of Society" takes place after "Ensnared" (and thus after "The Trap") but BEFORE "To Love & Obey".

Hope that helps.
Trishbot

Next

Return to Dumbtime