Character Conversation #8: Crissy Tanner

Discuss "Metrobay Comix" and other stories with Doctor Robo!

On a scale of 0-5, with 5 being the best, how do you rate Crissy Tanner?

No votes
No votes
No votes
18%
47%
35%

Total votes : 17

Re: Character Conversation #8: Crissy Tanner

Postby Trishbot » January 20th, 2011, 1:04 pm

I will say that Crissy has truly become a character I'm torn about because she, herself, is no longer just "one" character, but rather "THREE" unique and distinct characters.

Here's my breakdown.

1. PRE-SENTIUS CRISSY
Crissy was introduced and got her start as a wholly innocent, sweet, unconditionally loving and kind young girl, a bit too naive to know better but too upbeat and optimistic to be anything else. She never knew when villains were being villainous and she openly befriended several "bad" girls and went along with whatever she was told to do. She was a Polyanna in the dark, gritty world of Metrobay, looking past all the grit and grime and seeing only rainbows and sunshine. Her sweetness made others gravitate to her, to be her friend, and to openly protect her and the innocence she represented. I liked her a whole lot because there was honestly nobody like her, nobody that sweet and cute. She was the ultimate girl-next-door type in a big city, and she paralleled my own experiences going from a small town to a big city and being unprepared for the harshness of city life. Through Crissy, we see her powers emerge, we see her drafted, and we see her use her brains, luck, and talents to become a true heroine in "Sorority Sleuth". Knowing she couldn't even control her own powers made her even more interesting, and a threat to both heroines and villains alike. It was a great intro, and her consistent sweetness, to the point of being ashamed at even being seen in her undies and calling her naughty parts by pet names, made her one of my favorite heroines.

2. POST-SENTIUS CRISSY
I'll be open and admit that I'm not such a big fan of Crissy after her ordeal with Sentius. For starters, like a few have mentioned, it's implied that Silver Satin damaged her brain when she forced it to shut down, and that left lingering imprints of Sentius's programming in her noggin, but that was never outright clarified. Regardless, Crissy changed after this, and not for the better. She developed the robo-fetish, which was cute at first but grew into a nagging obsession that she complained about to nearly everyone in earshot. It stopped being "cute" a long time ago. Along the way, Crissy lost every single solitary thing that made people like her in the first place. Instead of being sweet and kind, she become ruthless, manipulative, and demanding. Instead of using cute pet names for her naughty parts like "muffin" and "pancakes", she got bluntly vulgar and crass and wasn't afraid to use strong language. Instead of being bashful and shy about herself and her body, she boldly strips naked and sucks the cock and licks the pussy of anyone and everything she could and get away with it. This isn't "Crissy", this is a totally and completely new character that we encountered after the events of "Night of the Drones", and while I'm okay with this, it's bothersome that others haven't picked up on the signs. Ted, of all people, knows she's not right in the head and passes it off her just being immature and childish... but even then, she's never been immature and childish before. She's acting entirely different than she ever did, but the Squad is either too preoccupied to notice, or just not as sharp as some of us think. Silver Satin, of all people, should KNOW that she directly attacked Crissy's brain, and soon after Crissy began acting differently. I know she's had her own problems, but instead of realizing her actions may have hurt Crissy, she just takes her frustrations out on Crissy without stopping to think that, "hey, maybe I did something to her". I'd like to be the first to say that whatever Crissy has done, and whatever she's going to do, is directly due to Silver Satin's actions... and Silver Satin can and should bear some of the blame, including the ordeal with LISA, the shenanigans with Surge, and even Valient Grrl's enslavement... all originating from Silver Satin's hand. Crissy is just TOO different for this to be "natural" and I entirely doubt she is accountable for her actions... even if she is a much less likable person now (one I think we all wish would get robotized just to shut her up.)

3. BLACKOUT CRISSY
Take "Post-Sentius" Crissy... now make her likable again. That's Blackout Crissy. She's still got a sort of sweetness to her, but it's more of a bitter chocolate now. She is what Crissy could have been (and still could be) without any fears or worries or self-doubt. Here, she finally has control over her powers, rather than letting them work on instinct and stimulation. She's powerful, enough to take on the Squad's biggest and best, and emerge triumphant, and she knows it. She's got an ego, and that makes her fun as she revels in her newly discovered potential and power. That confidence goes for everything she says or does. She's direct, yet still witty and funny. She's sexy, and she sounds like she enjoys being sexy rather than ashamed. Most importantly, she's liberated from being treated like the "kid sister" of the Squad and overly protected, and instead because a force of nature that only further shows just how much damage she can do and why the Squad was so concerned about getting to her first before a villain like Max or Gothikka did. As an evil villain, she just feels so much more happy and at peace with herself than she ever was in her other two incarnations, though I would still love for her to exist as "Blackout" and for Blackout to have some conflict with people who genuinely were her closest friends (like Snowflake or Solaria). But, most importantly, I want her to CHOOSE to be Blackout, for Gothikka to freely give her that decision rather than force it upon her, because that would make her "fulfilling her potential" all the more satisfying and, in a roundabout way, firmly complete her character arc and transition from innocence to corruption, as the very first issue she debuted in implied and hinted at.

Over all, three different characters in one body, all with three different impressions. I'm sure everyone has their preferences, but those were mine. Either way, I can't wait to see more from her.
Trishbot

Previous

Return to Doctor Robo