Metrobay Chronology

Discuss "Metrobay Comix" and other stories with Doctor Robo!

Re: Metrobay Chronology

Postby Tony » November 22nd, 2011, 8:38 am

I was working my way through some older stories and I noticed what might be some missing elements on the Chronology. I say they might be missing since I'm not sure if they should be there or not.

First is "Purple Haze" 1 & 2. Their covers are labeled with "Metrobay Comix" so these are most likely missing. These might also be a Member Request though there is no obvious number for that.

Freedom Broad was recently added to the list. If it was, I was wondering if "Origins: What makes a Hero" should be too. Also the Simple Shorts "The Alleyway" and "Along came a Spider... an itsy-bitsy spider". Especially that last one since it seems the back of Dr. Digitalus was in that one.

Then there are four other "Leaque of Liberty" comics that might need to be on the list though you might simply consider them to be a "different universe" entirely. Those are "Vanishing Act", "Party Favors", "Monster Mash" and Aronkid's League of Liberty.

If they all shouldn't be added to the official timeline, if someone could help with ordering them, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
Tony

Postby Tecknophyle » November 22nd, 2011, 12:25 pm

Tony wrote:I was working my way through some older stories and I noticed what might be some missing elements on the Chronology. I say they might be missing since I'm not sure if they should be there or not.

First is "Purple Haze" 1 & 2. Their covers are labeled with "Metrobay Comix" so these are most likely missing. These might also be a Member Request though there is no obvious number for that.

Freedom Broad was recently added to the list. If it was, I was wondering if "Origins: What makes a Hero" should be too. Also the Simple Shorts "The Alleyway" and "Along came a Spider... an itsy-bitsy spider". Especially that last one since it seems the back of Dr. Digitalus was in that one.

Then there are four other "Leaque of Liberty" comics that might need to be on the list though you might simply consider them to be a "different universe" entirely. Those are "Vanishing Act", "Party Favors", "Monster Mash" and Aronkid's League of Liberty.

If they all shouldn't be added to the official timeline, if someone could help with ordering them, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

I put the League of Liberty stories (and those from other universes) in when there's some way of referencing them to the main Metrobay storyline at fixed points: "The Past and Present of Duality Dame", for instance, because there's a specific reference to that story in Prized Displays, which allows for a relative placement. "What Makes a Hero" is difficult because there's minimal sense of when the framing "now" of the story is and the dating of the past is a bit problematic because there's no clearcut placement other than "sometime in the past".

I could (and I've done it when I started the Chronology project) reference other story universes, but the initial focus was on the Metrobay stories: League of Liberty is mostly doable. The Legion of Superheroines is actually fairly easy to do (and I did it), and I should incorporate it in one day.
Tecknophyle

Postby Doctor Robo » November 26th, 2011, 3:03 pm

While I am not against putting "League of Liberty" stories into the timeline (or any others, for that matter), this is intended to be a chronology of Metrobay stories first and foremost. The League stories that are currently listed are there because they cross over with Metrobay in some form or another. That goes for Platinum Earth, Legion of Super Heroines, Freedom Duo, or any other series not officially under the Metrobay banner.

My point is, I'd like to see the uncatalogued Metrobay stories added to the timeline first before we worry about branching out. I'm speaking primarily of Finister Foul's solo Pink Pussycat, Action Cats, Guardian Gals, and other assorted tales. I believe those should take priority.

- Doc
Doctor Robo

Postby Tecknophyle » November 27th, 2011, 11:47 am

Doctor Robo wrote:While I am not against putting "League of Liberty" stories into the timeline (or any others, for that matter), this is intended to be a chronology of Metrobay stories first and foremost. The League stories that are currently listed are there because they cross over with Metrobay in some form or another. That goes for Platinum Earth, Legion of Super Heroines, Freedom Duo, or any other series not officially under the Metrobay banner.

My point is, I'd like to see the uncatalogued Metrobay stories added to the timeline first before we worry about branching out. I'm speaking primarily of Finister Foul's solo Pink Pussycat, Action Cats, Guardian Gals, and other assorted tales. I believe those should take priority.

- Doc

Well, I just added Carnival of Sin, Faces the Music (or Musical Mayhem, the title changed), and Taming the Cat. The only story I don't have is the one that introduces Frank Einstein and Miasma Man because that's not up anywhere online I can see anymore, and I haven't put in Sex Pets of the Wild West yet.

That should be almost all of Finister's Metrobay stories.
Tecknophyle

Postby Northern Chill » November 27th, 2011, 12:29 pm

Femina Machinae looks to be set in a time period when Marcy Smith was working for the Metrobay Police department. This would place it before the events of the first Sentius/Ted Twisted arc.

As for Frank Einstein and Miasma Man, I'm at a loss as to where they appeared prior to their appearances in the Queen of Hearts and Musk of Mynx arcs respectively. I'll talk with Finister and see if there's an arc unaccounted for at the wiki at present.
Check out past covers from stories found here as well as text stories I've written at http://nchill.deviantart.com

"What does this story need?...more Franbot!!!"
Northern Chill

Postby Tecknophyle » November 27th, 2011, 3:36 pm

Northern Chill wrote:Femina Machinae looks to be set in a time period when Marcy Smith was working for the Metrobay Police department. This would place it before the events of the first Sentius/Ted Twisted arc.

As for Frank Einstein and Miasma Man, I'm at a loss as to where they appeared prior to their appearances in the Queen of Hearts and Musk of Mynx arcs respectively. I'll talk with Finister and see if there's an arc unaccounted for at the wiki at present.

There was a Pink Pussycat story called "Halloween" or something. What I have is what looks like one issue, PP and Clawdette get ambushed while chasing Miasma Man by Lavendara Daze and wake up strapped to a table (yeah, I know, that really narrows it down) and find out they're prisoners of Frank Einstein.
Tecknophyle

Postby dumbtime » November 27th, 2011, 7:13 pm

Tecknophyle wrote:
Northern Chill wrote:Femina Machinae looks to be set in a time period when Marcy Smith was working for the Metrobay Police department. This would place it before the events of the first Sentius/Ted Twisted arc.

There was a Pink Pussycat story called "Halloween" or something. What I have is what looks like one issue, PP and Clawdette get ambushed while chasing Miasma Man by Lavendara Daze and wake up strapped to a table (yeah, I know, that really narrows it down) and find out they're prisoners of Frank Einstein.

Yeah, I remember that one. It was the story that introduced all three of those characters.
dumbtime

Postby Tony » January 29th, 2012, 2:32 pm

Finister is making the timeline much more interesting with the last few pages he posted for Wicked Fun Park.

Hypnotica appearing for the first time since her debut.
Valient Girl appearing like before she visited the funhouse.
Alpha Girl and Valient Girl on the same page and both being hypnotized!
Solaria appearing like before capture in Chain Reaction.
Goldwing making an appearance.

And Shadow Rider not knowing about Hypnotica? Oops!

I thought I'd post this here since either a lot of things have happened off screen recently or Wicked Fun Park make be taking place as much as two years ago...

I guess only time will tell!
Tony

Postby Tecknophyle » January 29th, 2012, 2:55 pm

Tony wrote:Finister is making the timeline much more interesting with the last few pages he posted for Wicked Fun Park.

I thought I'd post this here since either a lot of things have happened off screen recently or Wicked Fun Park make be taking place as much as two years ago...

Shoot me now.
Tecknophyle

Postby MacroLass » January 29th, 2012, 3:13 pm

Tecknophyle wrote:
Tony wrote:Finister is making the timeline much more interesting with the last few pages he posted for Wicked Fun Park.

Shoot me now.

And this, boys and girls, is why the big comic book companies hire editors to manage their stories. Doesn't always work but it does tend to cut down on some of the more flagrant continuity violations.
MacroLass

Postby dumbtime » January 29th, 2012, 3:18 pm

With what is currently taking place in the newest release of WFP, I think it would have be running simultaneously with forbidden fantasy and most likely before episode 13. I think the hypnotica intro works becasue she was introduced to the group before FF and Body Image had already happenned. This is the Grrl Power group + Shadow Rider so it makes since to have Goldwing and Solaria. the only missing member of the GP team is now called Frostbite.

As for the Chain Reaction connection, i think that WFP would have to be before that which makes it work better if is running simultaneously with FF.

As for shadow rider, she hangs out in the motorcycle garage and probably doesn't know much about Hypnotica at this point. Everyone else there does
dumbtime

Postby Northern Chill » January 29th, 2012, 3:27 pm

dumbtime wrote:With what is currently taking place in the newest release of WFP, I think it would have be running simultaneously with forbidden fantasy and most likely before episode 13. I think the hypnotica intro works becasue she was introduced to the group before FF and Body Image had already happenned. This is the Grrl Power group + Shadow Rider so it makes since to have Goldwing and Solaria. the only missing member of the GP team is now called Frostbite.

As for the Chain Reaction connection, i think that WFP would have to be before that which makes it work better if is running simultaneously with FF.

As for shadow rider, she hangs out in the motorcycle garage and probably doesn't know much about Hypnotica at this point. Everyone else there does

Shadow Rider was seen with group in page of closing chapter of Hypnotica chatting with the new heroine.

Wicked Fun Park has to occur after Musk of Mynx arc due to Honeydoll appearance and after Catatonic (Tamry introed).

I think the biggest headache might lie in VG appearance...it either fixates the arc as Dumbtime states or it occurs well down the road (after VG is no longer Funhouse arc...whenever that might be).
Check out past covers from stories found here as well as text stories I've written at http://nchill.deviantart.com

Northern Chill

Postby Northern Chill » January 30th, 2012, 5:49 pm

Looking over the pages in question, the Shadow Rider not knowing Hypnotica's powers isn't an issue, imo. Given the size of the Squad and such, it's not unreasonable for one heroine to be unaware of what another's powers exactly are especially if they are new.

I would say Musk and Wicked Fun should be looked at as happening during the Forbidden Fantasy arc and after Crystal Cyclone/Jade encounter Miasma Man (to allow for the changes in the villain).

Just my two cents...

Northern Chill

Northern Chill

Postby Tecknophyle » January 30th, 2012, 11:40 pm

Wicked Fun Park has three required stories preceding it:

Babes Against the Machine: takes place immediately prior to WFP. No issues since it happens outside Metrobay.
Bedazzled: this must take place before Prized Displays as the mannequinization of Valiant Woman which happens in this story is exploited in the latter story.
Musk of the Mynx: HoneyDoll gets her enhanced figure. This must take place after Changing of the Guard as the brainwashed Sgt. Donovan is seen, and not too long before Catatonic as there is a reference in that story about the events of MotM happening just prior. Similarly, Catatonic has to happen before The Resort Tales as there's a foreshadowing about the events which will happen there.

And the stories have to happen in the order: MotM/Bedazzled->BatM->WFP. Bedazzled could happen simultaneously with or possibly before MotM: there's really nothing to indicate otherwise. The only real limitations are, as I said, MotM must happen after CotG, and Bedazzled has to be before Prized Displays. An additional one is that WFP cannot be happening in the period starting with The Resort Tales and ending with Prized Displays: Galatea was playing HoneyDoll at that time and presumably Draven's spell wouldn't have worked without the real article.

So right now the issue is up in the air: more data required.
Tecknophyle

Postby Mr. Cryptic » June 5th, 2012, 7:05 pm

Hi Tecknophyle - I just wanted to give you a heads up (and get some cheap publicity :) ).

I'm planning a Victory City - Metrobay crossover called "Ishtar Vs. Indeks." It will probably be at HIP Comix, since I have a lot more slots there to fill. I think the story will take place sometime after the end of Hypnotica and the beginning of Illicit Rendevous. If you want to ask me any questions about it, email me at ishtarcomics@gmail.com!

Thanks!

Mr. Cryptic
Mr. Cryptic

PreviousNext

Return to Doctor Robo