Metrobay Chronology

Discuss "Metrobay Comix" and other stories with Doctor Robo!

Re: Metrobay Chronology

Postby Tony » August 1st, 2011, 2:09 pm

Some changes to the timeline that I'd like to see.

If the event is not in a story, then don't put a story in the stories column. It's confusing when the same title comes up multiple times.
If the story only covers part of the event, either as a memory or a time sequence, you might want to note that with something. (Maybe "partial", or "time shift")
I'd love to see where the story is available or the author/illustrator since I'm still having problems finding some of them.

You could also think about another table about characters. I'm trying to catch up and it's amazing just how many times Brown Sugar or Valiant Girl manage to get used! One of the columns for the new table would be something like "Times Taken" or "Times Controlled". Though in some stories, just about everyone ends up that way! :mrgreen:
Tony

Postby Tecknophyle » August 1st, 2011, 8:27 pm

Tony wrote:Some changes to the timeline that I'd like to see.

If the event is not in a story, then don't put a story in the stories column. It's confusing when the same title comes up multiple times.
If the story only covers part of the event, either as a memory or a time sequence, you might want to note that with something. (Maybe "partial", or "time shift")
I'd love to see where the story is available or the author/illustrator since I'm still having problems finding some of them.

You could also think about another table about characters. I'm trying to catch up and it's amazing just how many times Brown Sugar or Valiant Girl manage to get used! One of the columns for the new table would be something like "Times Taken" or "Times Controlled". Though in some stories, just about everyone ends up that way! :mrgreen:

Even if we left out some events that weren't explicitly in a story (such as the estimated time American Amazon changed her name), there'd still be multiple story references: Ms Metrobay's capture by Giolla, for instance, needs two story references because she first appeared as a mind-controlled maid in one story, but it was another story that explained why she was captured, and both those stories have stand-alone entries on their own.

As for the other table about characters, I've already considered doing it and have a draft.
Tecknophyle

Postby Tecknophyle » August 3rd, 2011, 11:49 pm

I've tentatively added Prize Displays to the Chronology.

I've also added another category, for "Problem stories", that is stories which have some issues which currently don't allow them to be placed at the moment: these are Musk of the Mynx, Bedazzled, Wicked Fun Park, and To Love and Obey. The problem with the latter three stories emerge from Musk of the Mynx, specifically pages 3 and 12 with the appearance of Sgt/Lt Donovan.
Tecknophyle

Postby Northern Chill » August 4th, 2011, 11:42 am

Tecknophyle wrote:I've tentatively added Prize Displays to the Chronology.

I've also added another category, for "Problem stories", that is stories which have some issues which currently don't allow them to be placed at the moment: these are Musk of the Mynx, Bedazzled, Wicked Fun Park, and To Love and Obey. The problem with the latter three stories emerge from Musk of the Mynx, specifically pages 3 and 12 with the appearance of Sgt/Lt Donovan.

Bedazzled and Wicked Fun Park take place after Catatonic (Tamry O'Sullivan). As for the Donovan part, you can chalk that up to a creative typo on Fin's part and place Musk as if Donovan was referred to correctly.
Check out past covers from stories found here as well as text stories I've written at http://nchill.deviantart.com

"What does this story need?...more Franbot!!!"
Northern Chill

Postby Tecknophyle » August 4th, 2011, 9:22 pm

Northern Chill wrote:
Tecknophyle wrote:I've tentatively added Prize Displays to the Chronology.

Bedazzled and Wicked Fun Park take place after Catatonic (Tamry O'Sullivan). As for the Donovan part, you can chalk that up to a creative typo on Fin's part and place Musk as if Donovan was referred to correctly.

It's not so much her title as her presence.

It gets back to the Resort/Musk problem. From a characterization standpoint, it makes sense for Resort to happen before Changing of the Guard, but Resort has to happen after Musk, but Musk has to happen after Changing. If it was some random Funhouse guard and not Donovan, then Musk can be placed before Changing and Resort. Then there's no problem with the other stories if that one problem was dealt with.
Tecknophyle

Postby Doctor Robo » August 4th, 2011, 9:46 pm

Tecknophyle wrote:It gets back to the Resort/Musk problem. From a characterization standpoint, it makes sense for Resort to happen before Changing of the Guard, but Resort has to happen after Musk, but Musk has to happen after Changing. If it was some random Funhouse guard and not Donovan, then Musk can be placed before Changing and Resort. Then there's no problem with the other stories if that one problem was dealt with.

I guess I'm not following. Why does it make sense for Resort to take place before COTG?
Doctor Robo

Postby Tecknophyle » August 5th, 2011, 11:18 pm

Doctor Robo wrote:
Tecknophyle wrote:It gets back to the Resort/Musk problem. From a characterization standpoint, it makes sense for Resort to happen before Changing of the Guard, but Resort has to happen after Musk, but Musk has to happen after Changing. If it was some random Funhouse guard and not Donovan, then Musk can be placed before Changing and Resort. Then there's no problem with the other stories if that one problem was dealt with.

I guess I'm not following. Why does it make sense for Resort to take place before COTG?

Alpha Woman, chillin' at the resort, hanging out with the girls, having a grand old time...apparently not noticing that the love of her life abruptly and without reason cut all ties with her to be a guard at the Funhouse.
Tecknophyle

Postby mctek » August 5th, 2011, 11:41 pm

Ok, well Resort does happen after Change of the guard, at the time Me and Fin were doing Resort, Doc was doing FF , and in order to avoid spoilers in doc's story I had to leave out references to FF otherwise i would have put them in. So yes this does happen after Changing of the guard, and Fin probably goof when he was writing Erica's rank in Musk.

MCtek~
mctek

Postby Tecknophyle » August 5th, 2011, 11:54 pm

mctek wrote:Ok, well Resort does happen after Change of the guard, at the time Me and Fin were doing Resort, Doc was doing FF , and in order to avoid spoilers in doc's story I had to leave out references to FF otherwise i would have put them in. So yes this does happen after Changing of the guard, and Fin probably goof when he was writing Erica's rank in Musk.

MCtek~

Okay, then how's this: Musk happens right after Changing, Resort happens after Forbidden Fantasy (you'll need some mention in somewhere about Alpha Woman trying to get over her...um breakup or whatever Giolla made up as an excuse). That pushes Wicked Fun Park to sometime after Prized Displays (assuming Honeydoll gets free in that story), since one presumes Draven would have figured out it wasn't the real Bea Flowers in his ritual.
Tecknophyle

Postby Doctor Robo » August 6th, 2011, 7:44 am

Tecknophyle wrote:
Doctor Robo wrote:I guess I'm not following. Why does it make sense for Resort to take place before COTG?

Alpha Woman, chillin' at the resort, hanging out with the girls, having a grand old time...apparently not noticing that the love of her life abruptly and without reason cut all ties with her to be a guard at the Funhouse.

Maybe she is able to compartmentalize, and separate her work life from her personal life? Or maybe Valient Grrl put in her transfer papers but hasn't brought up their personal relationship yet. If VG is working odd hours, they may not see much of each other anyway, so a formal breakup wouldn't come up for discussion just yet.

- Doc
Doctor Robo

Postby dumbtime » August 6th, 2011, 10:15 am

Maybe there can be a quickie story to fill in the gaps, possibly something similar to the format 'A Day in the Life of...'
dumbtime

Postby PsiLance » August 6th, 2011, 1:28 pm

The placing of Resort Tales is not that big an issue really. Even if Kristen was gone, perhaps Tina thinks she's just busy. Never let it be said that the Squad is quick on the whole abduction thing.

"But we're all going to the resort."

*whisper whisper whisper* "I'm really busy with the thing, Tina. I promise I'll get there if I can. Go have fun. I know you could all use the break, especially after the things that have been happening in the city."

"You sure you don't need help?"

*whisper whisper whisper* "I'm sure. Go have fun. For me."

"Alright...if that's what you want. I love you."

"Love you, too. Bye. *hang up* Did I do well, Madam?"
PsiLance

Postby Tony » August 6th, 2011, 5:53 pm

There is an issue with Goldwing in the Chronology.

Goldwing is seen in character in Hostile Takeover and again Operation Resurrection though Night of the Drones. However, in Stripper Transformation, she and Knyght Fighter are last seen as Strippers.

I don't think it can be resolved by moving Stripper Transformation though I could be wrong as I'm missing several of the stories between the two. I think it might be resolved by an off stage reversion after Stripper Transformation and prior to Hostile Takeover. It could also be that the events in Stripper Transformation were long enough that the second transformation takes place after the events in Night of the Drones. That would imply that some of the other stories in the sequence after Stripper Transformation might also need to be after Night of the Drones.

What do you think?

Also, Madame Mynx appears for the first time in Changed Woman.
Tony

Postby Doctor Robo » August 6th, 2011, 7:22 pm

Tony wrote:There is an issue with Goldwing in the Chronology.

Goldwing is seen in character in Hostile Takeover and again Operation Resurrection though Night of the Drones. However, in Stripper Transformation, she and Knyght Fighter are last seen as Strippers.

On page 206 of Superheroine Squad I wrote "You may recall how Goldwing and Knyght Fighter were captured by the supervillain Syman Sayz and used by APEX as guinea pigs to test their latest wicked invention. Well luckily for the young heroines the body morphing process was flawed and they eventually returned to their original forms."

It wasn't a major plot point or anything, but it does appear in print that GW and KF reverted to their normal selves at some point between Stripper Transformation and Robotica Erotica.

- Doc
Doctor Robo

Postby Doctor Robo » August 6th, 2011, 7:23 pm

PsiLance wrote:The placing of Resort Tales is not that big an issue really. Even if Kristen was gone, perhaps Tina thinks she's just busy. Never let it be said that the Squad is quick on the whole abduction thing.

Sounds plausible to me. :)

- Doc
Doctor Robo

PreviousNext

Return to Doctor Robo