Metrobay Chronology

Discuss "Metrobay Comix" and other stories with Doctor Robo!

Re: Metrobay Chronology

Postby Doctor Robo » July 28th, 2011, 7:43 pm

Some of these issues are easy to clear up, some are a little tougher.

As a rule of thumb, the comics that I have written are in a pretty straightforward chronological order. The only one that isn't is "Original Sin", which is obviously a flashback within a 'modern day' story.

It gets trickier when you start working other artists and writers into the equation. Like I said before, we have kind of an unwritten policy of a 'fluid' timeline, because these stories can't share characters and also take place in a vacuum. Frankly, I'm a bit surprised that we haven't run into any larger continuity issues than what has already been mentioned here and elsewhere.

In my opinion, the Pink Pussycat bondage stories run parallel to the mind control-themed stories. There are only a couple of places where they intersect, chiefly "Night of the Drones" and "To Love and Obey".

The tricky parts seem to involve Hypnotica and Valient Grrl. I'll defer to Trishbot on where she thinks those fall. Again, when in doubt, listing by publication date isn't the worst thing you can do.

- Doc
Doctor Robo

Postby Tecknophyle » July 28th, 2011, 8:26 pm

mctek wrote:If i got my order straight, and it should be. Man Fin is gunna kill me.....

Teacher's pet :1 year before/ Also the enslavement of New Guard happens at this time.

Pleasure Pets : between this time.

Queen of Hearts/Guardian Gals: happens at same this as time

Sword and Shield: year 1/ New Guard still enslaved

Musk of Mynx: happens in between this time

Resort Tales: several months later

Prized Displays: 3 Months later

Wick some time later

Nope. Musk of Mynx must occur after Changing of the Guard thanks to Sgt Donovan, or as I am starting to call her, The Great Chronological Chaos Causer. If Resort Tales several months later, it must take place after Forbidden Fantasy since you can't really argue for more than, say, a week at most between Changing and Forbidden.

Love and Obey can't occur before Musk because Musk is where Honeydoll first encountered Adonis, and in Love and Obey Valiant Woman snarks about her and Adonis, so her attraction is fairly common knowledge by then.

I don't worry about breast size making a decision about when something happens: unless it's an actual story point, I'd consider it artistic license.

I'm going to make some changes fitting some Pink Pussycat/New Guards stuff in.
Tecknophyle

Postby Tecknophyle » July 28th, 2011, 8:29 pm

I'm also taking out the "Known Timespan" columns: they aren't really that useful and I'd have to add more columns. What I can do is at some point use some of my project planning software to show how the stories overlap and make a graphic of it.
Tecknophyle

Postby Tecknophyle » July 28th, 2011, 9:33 pm

Okay, here are the changes I made:

1. added New Guards after Teacher's Pet based on comments made
2. added Pleasure Pets after New Guard (no real conflict with anything around then)
3. added Guardian Gals Heartless between Tough Love and Mesmerella (no conflict with anything in that area)
4. added Day at the Office after Halloween Havoc 1 (the story has to occur between Havoc 1 and Sword and Shield as both Noctrissa and Fluffy appear)
5. I moved Resort to just before Changing of the Guard based on some of the comments here (the story covers a week, so can overlap with Changing of the Guard)

I have NOT added To Love and Obey, Musk, Bedazzled, or Wicked due to the fact their status is a bit up in the air and requires some further discussion. Bedazzled and Wicked are obviously a matched set and occur in that order.
Tecknophyle

Postby Tecknophyle » July 28th, 2011, 9:57 pm

Of course, I made a mistake. Based on the last panel of Pleasure Pets, it had to happen after Wireless.
Tecknophyle

Postby Northern Chill » July 28th, 2011, 10:11 pm

Keep in mind other events in Pleasure Pets such as Gallant Lass and Daisy Sanchez..might help pinpoint the arc time wise.
Check out past covers from stories found here as well as text stories I've written at http://nchill.deviantart.com

"What does this story need?...more Franbot!!!"
Northern Chill

Postby Tecknophyle » July 28th, 2011, 10:52 pm

And yet more changes. Due to the opening of Pleasure Pets taking place on Halloween(1), I've placed it starting at the same time as Halloween Havoc 1. Then followed immediately by Day at the Office (which makes sense storywise that Prescott's guilt drove him to extremes), and then Guardian Gals moved down to after Mind Over Magic.

Footnotes:
(1) There are other festivals in the year, ladies and gentlemen. Keep using that single one for in-continuity stories and we'll end up with a MASH-like 8 Christmas episodes over a 3 year war.
Tecknophyle

Postby Hector2 » July 30th, 2011, 10:30 pm

Hi Technophyle:

As a comic book nerd, I cannot thank you enough for your commendable efforts at a coherent comix chronology (I love alliteration, don't you?).

About your note about festivities, given “a twisted Xmas” and a Christmas Story by Finister Foul I cannot seem to find are taken too, I humbly suggest the next tales:

Eastern: The day the McNorms captured and placed Blaze Bunny in suspended animation as another one of their trophies.

Mother’s day: The day when Belinda wanted Mechana to get back.

Father’s day: The day when Lisa offered Gilbert Petto any gift he wanted.

Valentine’s day: Lavendara Daze sets up Galant Lass an internet blind date with her number one fan and Hannibal Lecteresque stalker with a crush, BugEyez.

April Fool’s day: Any story with Clownetta.

President’s day: I confess I don’t have any idea for this one.

Hector 2
Hector2

Postby Doctor Robo » July 30th, 2011, 10:39 pm

Tecknophyle wrote:(1) There are other festivals in the year, ladies and gentlemen. Keep using that single one for in-continuity stories and we'll end up with a MASH-like 8 Christmas episodes over a 3 year war.

That's true, but if you find a way to make Easter or Memorial Day sexy, I'll take my hat off to you. :)

- Doc
Doctor Robo

Postby dumbtime » July 31st, 2011, 5:09 am

I wonder if Metrobay has any of it's own festivals. ;)
dumbtime

Postby Tecknophyle » July 31st, 2011, 8:51 am

Hector2 wrote:Hi Technophyle:

As a comic book nerd, I cannot thank you enough for your commendable efforts at a coherent comix chronology (I love alliteration, don't you?).

About your note about festivities, given “a twisted Xmas” and a Christmas Story by Finister Foul I cannot seem to find are taken too, I humbly suggest the next tales:

Eastern: The day the McNorms captured and placed Blaze Bunny in suspended animation as another one of their trophies.

Mother’s day: The day when Belinda wanted Mechana to get back.

Father’s day: The day when Lisa offered Gilbert Petto any gift he wanted.

Valentine’s day: Lavendara Daze sets up Galant Lass an internet blind date with her number one fan and Hannibal Lecteresque stalker with a crush, BugEyez.

April Fool’s day: Any story with Clownetta.

President’s day: I confess I don’t have any idea for this one.

Hector 2

Just for reference, I left out the Christmas ones and such because they are clearly just amusing out-of-universe side-stories.
Tecknophyle

Postby Doctor Robo » July 31st, 2011, 11:04 am

dumbtime wrote:I wonder if Metrobay has any of it's own festivals. ;)

I believe the Celebration of the Giant Brassiere takes place every year to mark Ms. Metrobay's birthday. :P

- Doc
Doctor Robo

Postby Northern Chill » July 31st, 2011, 11:09 am

Perhaps an annual party to mark the founding of Metrobay on a certain day...hmmm..wheels are turning... :twisted:
Check out past covers from stories found here as well as text stories I've written at http://nchill.deviantart.com

"What does this story need?...more Franbot!!!"
Northern Chill

Postby dumbtime » July 31st, 2011, 12:15 pm

Northern Chill wrote:Perhaps an annual party to mark the founding of Metrobay on a certain day...hmmm..wheels are turning... :twisted:

Yeah, that and maybe a special day reserved as a "Superheroine Day." Maybe like a day to celebrate something they did in the past to save the city. They could be any type of celebration but they would make excellent target days for villains to plan their attempts to take over. And, I think it would add more to the chronology.
dumbtime

Postby Tecknophyle » August 1st, 2011, 9:33 am

Just as a suggestion for the writers, you might want to consider that these characters are considered superheroes for stuff they've done in the past, which doesn't necessarily have to actually have appeared in a story, or have anything at all to do with mind control.

A good example is from Teacher's Pet. Heroes are off fighting some supervillain. You don't see it, you just hear a reference to it. Similarly, there's the reference to the Changeling story; even though that story does exist and can be read, it doesn't have to be. There should be more of that sort of thing, fleshing out a world and giving it a sense of existing. Silver Satin could walk into a room and catch part of a conversation between Ms Metrobay and Alpha Woman where they're laughing about the incompetent idiot who though he was a match for Alpha Man that one time years ago, or some crook being hauled into custody in the background mumbling about how it wasn't fair a freaking superhero shows up to an ordinary break-in, that sort of thing. Odd trophies on the wall from villains who have been defeated in the past ("That helmet? Someone calling herself The Moral Guardian back in the '50s who complained about our costumes. Violet stripped her down to her underwear during the fight"), pictures, newspaper headlines, all the stuff which can imply that there's things that have happened and are happening beyond the current story.

There are some examples from standard comics. Batman's trophy room, where most modern day readers probably haven't seen the stories where the giant penny or the dinosaur come from. The Green Lantern Corps is always doing stuff, not just the characters currently spotlighted. There was a running gag in Ultimate Spider-Man where he'd swing past a police station on his way somewhere and below you'd see some officers hauling in a person dressed in a costume ranting about the latest crossover event in the DC universe.
Tecknophyle

PreviousNext

Return to Doctor Robo