Character Conversation #10: Ms. Metrobay

Discuss "Metrobay Comix" and other stories with Doctor Robo!

On a scale of 0-5, with 5 being the best, how do you rate Ms. Metrobay?

No votes
No votes
11%
22%
28%
39%

Total votes : 18

Re: Character Conversation #10: Ms. Metrobay

Postby dumbtime » August 9th, 2011, 7:37 pm

Doctor Robo wrote:...That's why we haven't seen too much of Ms. Metrobay out on the streets fighting crime. That isn't really her role. That would be like asking a four star general to pick up a rifle and take a shift on guard duty, or asking a football coach to suit up and play a few downs. They might be able to physically do it, but it wouldn't be in the best interests of the team...

Well, if the enemy made it all the way to the general, he better pick up that gun and if memory serves me right, Tom Landry (legendary coach of the Dallas Cowboys football team) was a player/coach for the Giants at one time.

I think a well focused Villain, with his eye on the prize, would bypass everything and go right for the gusto if the moment allowed and he/she executed a flawless plan.
dumbtime

Postby Northern Chill » August 11th, 2011, 11:30 am

dumbtime wrote:
Doctor Robo wrote:...That's why we haven't seen too much of Ms. Metrobay out on the streets fighting crime. That isn't really her role. That would be like asking a four star general to pick up a rifle and take a shift on guard duty, or asking a football coach to suit up and play a few downs. They might be able to physically do it, but it wouldn't be in the best interests of the team...

Well, if the enemy made it all the way to the general, he better pick up that gun and if memory serves me right, Tom Landry (legendary coach of the Dallas Cowboys football team) was a player/coach for the Giants at one time.

I think a well focused Villain, with his eye on the prize, would bypass everything and go right for the gusto if the moment allowed and he/she executed a flawless plan.

In that alternate Metrobay idea I kicked around a while back, a "dark" MM was one of the characters I was musing over...now, things have to fall in place for that story arc to be realized but its an intriguing prospect.

That said, as for the present and now, I'd advocate for MM appearances to show more of her character. Yes, I know, this isn't Marvel or DC we're talking but fill in her profile more than someone who looks hot.
Check out past covers from stories found here as well as text stories I've written at http://nchill.deviantart.com

"What does this story need?...more Franbot!!!"
Northern Chill

Postby Doctor Robo » August 14th, 2011, 8:10 pm

Northern Chill wrote:That said, as for the present and now, I'd advocate for MM appearances to show more of her character. Yes, I know, this isn't Marvel or DC we're talking but fill in her profile more than someone who looks hot.

That's interesting. In this thread you are calling for me to use Ms. Metrobay more often, in order to flesh out her character and personality. In another thread a reader is telling me that he wants to see less of the 'big stars' and more diversity in character use. So which advice should I follow? Or should I try to do both equally as best I can?

- Doc
Doctor Robo

Postby Tecknophyle » August 15th, 2011, 10:42 am

Doctor Robo wrote:
That's interesting. In this thread you are calling for me to use Ms. Metrobay more often, in order to flesh out her character and personality. In another thread a reader is telling me that he wants to see less of the 'big stars' and more diversity in character use. So which advice should I follow? Or should I try to do both equally as best I can?

- Doc

I think the short answer is that people are asking for more than seeing (one of the) big-breasted blondes simply get hypnotized/whatever yet again. If she's simply going to be a victim of mind control, well, let someone else have a turn. If, on the other hand, she's actually going to be doing something other than being a convenient target, that's good. To be honest I'd be happy with a story where she plays a significant role and isn't one of the ones to fall victim for a change.
Tecknophyle

Postby SuckerPunch » August 15th, 2011, 11:20 am

Doctor Robo wrote:
Northern Chill wrote:That said, as for the present and now, I'd advocate for MM appearances to show more of her character. Yes, I know, this isn't Marvel or DC we're talking but fill in her profile more than someone who looks hot.

- Doc

I say try to do both equally. One of the best ways you've done this is with "Metrobay Chronicles" - lots of character development and history with tons of mind control. Maybe another history lesson is due :mrgreen:
"I'm making this up as i go"

Currently working on-
Tailor Made Part 5
A Tale with A Twist (Story completed, Release date TBA)

Coming soon...SuckerPunch's original stories 'Ladies of the Night'
SuckerPunch

Postby MacroLass » August 15th, 2011, 12:37 pm

Doctor Robo wrote:That's interesting. In this thread you are calling for me to use Ms. Metrobay more often, in order to flesh out her character and personality. In another thread a reader is telling me that he wants to see less of the 'big stars' and more diversity in character use. So which advice should I follow? Or should I try to do both equally as best I can?

The short answer is...to use whoever is appropriate for the story at hand. Obviously there'll be times when it'd be more appropriate at have the "big guns" (if you will :D ) in play while in others it makes sense for the younger heroes to have their time in the sun.

That of course brings up the bigger question of what kind of stories do you want to tell. In a perfect world, all of the heroines in Metrobay have something unique to say but obviously there's only a limted about of pages to say these things in. My personal take is that the lesser characters don't really get a chance to shine unless they HAVE that screen time, much like the recent saga featuring Snowflake pointed out. That's where having other people write in your "universe" comes in. You just need to make sure that those authors adhere to what YOU think the characters should be.
MacroLass

Postby Doctor Robo » August 16th, 2011, 7:41 pm

MacroLass wrote:That of course brings up the bigger question of what kind of stories do you want to tell. In a perfect world, all of the heroines in Metrobay have something unique to say but obviously there's only a limted about of pages to say these things in. My personal take is that the lesser characters don't really get a chance to shine unless they HAVE that screen time, much like the recent saga featuring Snowflake pointed out. That's where having other people write in your "universe" comes in. You just need to make sure that those authors adhere to what YOU think the characters should be.

You make an excellent point, and Nitpicker wrote something similar in the "Which story would you like to see?" thread. When Metrobay first started rolling, it was just me and Finister at the wheel. He wrote the Pink Pussycat bondage/peril stories, and I wrote the Superheroine Squad mind control/robots stories. For years that's all we had, and it was... ok.

Recently we have been blessed with a slowly growing team of fantastic artists and writers who have contributed their time and energy to making Metrobay a more interesting place to tell our stories. I'm talking about Trishbot, Akonkid, Northern Chill, MCtek, Mindchanger, Nezit, Sir Willoughby... and I hope I'm not leaving anyone out. Frankly, without these fine folks Metrobay wouldn't exist as it does today. They have helped to refine our existing characters, and augmented them with their own fresh and original ideas.

I think I speak for Finister when I say that that we're proud to work alongside these talented individuals. They have, as you mentioned, allowed our creations to flourish, and I can only hope that they'll continue to do so for a long time to come.

- Doc
Doctor Robo

Postby Hector2 » September 3rd, 2011, 8:38 pm

Dear Doc Robo:

I agree with Akonkid, Ms. Metrobay has not done anything really heroic lately, and with Macrolass, it seems her main power is “looking good”. Technopyle mentions Kinetic energy and that MM is like Wolverine (she always come back for more), Trishbot hits the jackpot with all the "early" stories she can be used for, Dumbtime give us an interesting plot to see her with the "opposite" MM, and SuckerPunch give us a Salomon’s decision with his judgement of trying to give equal coverage to the stars and the minor characters.

For me, I think the whole point is to take a moment to think how to use appropriately this character: Her power is “only” energy absorption. Well, that is the power of Superman himself! A living solar battery! And he is the most powerful mortal on the planet! I’m sure she is an unstoppable force worthy of a lot stories.

Another issue: I can’t believe nobody talked about her family. She is one of the West sisters, humans with so much longevity that almost count as eternal youth. Is this genetics? Couldn’t some super villain obsessed with youth kidnap her or any (or all) of her lovely sisters trying to uncover their secret?

MM has been used as a template not for one, but for two robots. One of them is awesome Mechana, the other is Lisa, who has developed what we could call a temporary elixir of youth. This must have something to do with Ms. Metrobay's longevity (of course, that is Dr. Robo decision, but I think it makes sense).

I think she could appear in all the stories the writers want to, but they need to think a little to show her doing something cool and superheroic. I know there is potential in her (and in all the MC Comix writers) to do so.

Thanks for reading this rant.

Hector 2.
Hector2

Postby Doctor Robo » September 5th, 2011, 12:41 pm

Hector2 wrote:I think she could appear in all the stories the writers want to, but they need to think a little to show her doing something cool and superheroic. I know there is potential in her (and in all the MC Comix writers) to do so.

That seems to be the theme that I am sensing here. Like I said before, it isn't her job to brawl with villains like Omega Woman or Valient Grrl, and it isn't her job to go undercover like Brown Sugar. She is the leader, the planner, the supervisor. She does the administrative work so her team can do what they do best - fight the bad guys.

That said, I can certainly think of more ways for her to be heroic. But if she is the one who saves the day, that means she ISN'T the one who gets into all sorts of peril and mind control goodness. Is that what you want?

- Doc
Doctor Robo

Postby MacroLass » September 5th, 2011, 2:10 pm

Doctor Robo wrote:That said, I can certainly think of more ways for her to be heroic. But if she is the one who saves the day, that means she ISN'T the one who gets into all sorts of peril and mind control goodness. Is that what you want?

I don't want ANYONE on the Squad to be the "typical" victim, if you will. I think all of them are heroines and thus any or all of the members should have the chance or opportunity (if the situation takes advantage of their skills) of being able to save the others.

Yes, Ms. M is the general, tactician, and administrator of the group. But she had to get that rep somehow. So maybe something to show her cleverness would be in order. Just a thought.
MacroLass

Postby mctek » September 5th, 2011, 3:09 pm

Honestly I think it's the way you've set her up doc, she has this history that makes her the Captain America of the MetrobayVerse, she like Cap is the general, the tactician, and the administrator of the group. But he's also the first one on the field and the last one off, I think in Ms.M's case we really haven't seen her do her thing since her first appearance. Even a one panel shot would do her some justice :D.

MCtek~
mctek

Postby Akonkid » September 5th, 2011, 6:48 pm

I understand the desire to make Ms. Metrobay the "leader" and not get her hands dirty if she needs to...

... yet at the same time, her powers are tailored towards getting in the front lines, being an "energy" sponge, and then letting everyone else do clean-up. She absorbs energy and heals lightning fast. That's like saying Wolverine should stay far away from combat, even though his abilities are the same: super-healing.

So, that's fine, but if she's going to serve that "off-site" leadership role, it's a position any powerless heroine could do, while Ms. Metrobay's powers sort of stagnate and go unused. I'm not saying she should throw down all the time, or even take the spot Valient Grrl has as the muscle, but I'll chime in and say, yes, I DO want Ms. Metrobay to save the day, even if it means she doesn't get controlled.

... And if she doesn't get controlled, that also means someone ELSE gets a turn.
If she would just do what I asked, I wouldn't need to use mind control!
Akonkid

Postby nageth » September 5th, 2011, 6:56 pm

Yup, seeing her in pretty much any leadership role would be great (the Capt America analogy is a good one). I'd actually love to see her not go down in the first wave.
nageth

Postby SuckerPunch » September 5th, 2011, 7:06 pm

What about if you have Ms Metrobay become chief mentor of Grrl Power? This way she oversees their operations while in the field (or at HQ) and can jump in when its necessary. I think they, more so then the main squad, would benefit from her experience and learn from her example. (Sort of like the current Young Justice cartoons) She wouldnt be usurping control from Solaria (de-facto leader of GP) but she would help guide her into becoming a stronger leader.

Kind of a mix bag giving the people who want to see her in action their wish and those who think she belong more in a management position leaving her open to aid the Superheroine Squad as a reservist. She still leads but is johnny on the spot when things start getting out of hand

just a thought.
"I'm making this up as i go"

Currently working on-
Tailor Made Part 5
A Tale with A Twist (Story completed, Release date TBA)

Coming soon...SuckerPunch's original stories 'Ladies of the Night'
SuckerPunch

Postby Hector2 » September 6th, 2011, 10:03 am

Doctor Robo wrote: I can certainly think of more ways for her to be heroic. But if she is the one who saves the day, that means she ISN'T the one who gets into all sorts of peril and mind control goodness. Is that what you want?

- Doc

Hi Doc!

I think this is a misunderstanding... Well of course I think it would be great to her Ms. Metrobay saving the day... it's even the most logical: she is the superheroine with more experience and she is the most powerful... but then, I would love to see her in "peril and mind control goodness" (that is the entire point of this site, isn't it)?

The point is seeing her doing superheroic things (saving people from a fire, rescuing superheroines that are doomed otherwise, displaying intelligence and wit)... and falling for very good, planed in advance tramps!

BTW, when I first saw the tale of how MM was enslaved by Belinda, my first impression was not "MM sucks" but "MM is a great superheroine who was caputred because the great intellect and planning skills of Belinda" meaning "MM is good superheroine but Belinda is better as a villain". I think that was the impression Doc wanted to left in the reader.

So, to be direct: I want to see MM doing cool superheroic things, showing us why she is the boss, but that doesn't mean she cannot get into "peril and mind control goodness" that is the general idea ;)

Hector2
Hector2

PreviousNext

Return to Doctor Robo